University, Union Reach Agreement

By Stephen E. Frank, Crimson Staff Writer

The University has agreed with union representatives in a recent contract to consider companies employing union workers for campus renovation projects worth more than $70 million.

In exchange, Harvard's seven unions accepted reduced wages for work on those projects and guaranteed that the work will continue uninterrupted .

The agreement, the first of its kind in University history, applies to the upcoming renovations of 16 first-year dormitories and the Holyoke Center office building which will take place over the next three years.

"I'm ecstatic about it," said Joseph W. Nigro, who participated in the negotiations as secretary-treasurer of the Boston Building Trades Council. "It keeps a relationship going with a University that's had a good relationship with us for 75 years."

In the past, union officials have complained about the University's practice of subcontracting some jobs to non-union workers. The leaders of Harvard's seven unions formed a coalition last month to address the issue.

At that time, some union representatives said Harvard's policy was unfair to union contractors.

"We have a problem that it's not a level playing field when they expect a person who is 100 percent legitimate to bid against someone who we interpret to be less than legitimate,." Chuck J. Monahan said inn April. Monahan is a representative of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

Nigro--who also represents approximately 300 maintenance workers permanently employed by the University--said yesterday that he thinks the new contract is a step in the right direction.

"I think there was a major decision made byPresident Rudenstine... that he has to take intoconsideration the concerns of the community aroundhim," Nigro said.

"One of those concerns that we've alwaysexpressed to Harvard is that union contractors paythe prevailing rate of wages [and] that they havepension, health and welfare programs foremployees. Harvard has taken that intoconsideration," he said. "It makes it a levelplaying field."

But one Harvard officials said the decision,while an important one for the University, doesnot apply to all future job bidding.

David A. Zewinski '76, senior vice presidentfor property operation and construction at HarvardReal Estate, said Harvard makes bidding decisionsa on a case by case basis.

"We choose to use both union and non-unionbidders where appropriate," Zewinski said. "Inthis particular instance we felt...that someunique circumstance presented for thesejobs...made it worthwhile to craft an agreementwith unions to minimize the risk of not meetingschedules."

The unions agreed to forbid workers fromstriking over labor disputes or to strike out ofsympathy for other workers.

In addition to the 17 buildings alreadyscheduled for renovations, several other buildingsat the College are being considered for work, hesaid.

Zewinski, who participated in the nearly twomonths of negotiations leading up to theagreement, said the work at those buildings may beadded on to the new contract in the from ofspecial. agenda