Harvard Gets Top Ranking

U.S. News Rates University Best For Third Straight Year

By Betty L. Cung, Contributing Reporter

Yale may have reigned supreme on Game day last fall, but Harvard seems to prevail for the other 364 days.

For the third year in a row, U.S. News and World Report awarded Harvard top honors in its annual survey of colleges and universities.

Harvard ranked first in academic reputation, student selectivity and student satisfaction. Test scores, too, were first in the country.

The rankings are "the most comprehensive available," according to the magazine's senior editor, Robert J. Morris.

Information for this year's rankings was collected in August and July 1992, Morris said. The response rate was 68% from the national university presidents and deans contacted.

Campus visits, they said, and recommendationsfrom parents, alumni, or teachers are far moreimportant.

"I'm glad Harvard is number one, but I don'tthink the rankings are all that accurate," saidAna Maria S. Licuanan '95. "I chose Harvardbecause my parents both went to Harvard and I likeBoston."

Ira E. Stoll and Gady A. Epstein contributedto the reporting of this story.