Union Launches New Campaign To Win Support

Negotiations Stalled on Pay Raise Size

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers, stalled in negotiations with the University over the size of a pay raise, will start a new campaign to garner public support with a Yard rally today.

The union is dissatisfied with contract offers made in the closed-door negotiation process--offers it claims have been misrepresented by the administration.

The contract expired June 30. The 3600 member union, frustrated by delays, hopes for a crowd of 1000 to pressure the administration.

In an interview Tuesday, Harvard President Neil L. Rudenstine stood by a management memo stating that the University had offered the union a 4 percent raise with no other penalties.

Union Director Bill Jaeger said yesterday that the union had received an offer of a pay increase of about 4 percent. But, Jaeger said, the proposal also contained a 50 percent cut in the so-called progression increase. The progression increase is a periodic pay raise based on seniority.

"If the management has made a 4 percent offer that doesn't strip or cut the progression increase in half, they didn't make it at the table with us," Jaeger said. "I'm quite sure there's no confusion about that."

But Harvard managers seem just as sure of the opposite.

"As far as I know, there's been no explicit effort to change the progression," Rudenstine said.

"The University does not want to make any changes in the progression increase," said Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs John H. Shattuck, who has acted as management's spokesperson throughout the negotiations.

Jaeger said management's suggested cut of theprogression increase is "in some ways a gesture ofdisrespect for the value of Harvard workingexperience." He said the union still has yet toreceive "a respectful 4 person offer."

In addition to the pay increase, the union andmanagement also have yet to resolve the union'sdemand for spousal benefits for gay partners.

Shattuck said management was still determiningtheir position on the "comlplex" issue. He saidProvost Jerry R. Green is supervising an effort toexamine "very closely" domestic partnerships.

Specific negotiating points aside, today'srally marks an effort by the union to again thegeneral support of students and faculty returningfrom the summer's break. Jaeger said many studentshave already expressed their support.

The rally may also represent the feeling thatmany union members are fired of waiting for theirraises, which they expected July 1.

"We're growing more concerned and morefrustrated all the time," Jaeger said