M. Soccer Falls, 2-0

BC Sails at Ohiri

By Cara E. Abdulrazak

The grey day reflected the spirits of the Harvard men's soccer team after falling to Boston College yesterday at Ohiri Field, 2-0.

The Crimson monopolized the field yet could not score against the Eagles, who tallied once early and once late to drop Harvard's record to 3-7-1 overall, 1-2-1 in the Ivy League.

Harvard had countless opportunities to score but could not find the net. It was the Crimson's fourth shutout this season.

"The team gave a great effort," sophomore goalie Ned Carlson said. "We just couldn't put the ball in the net when we needed to, which has been our problem all season."

The Crimson had no trouble in working the ball up the field. The midfielders, led by captain Joe Bradley, had no problem there. But when it came time to connect with the forwards, nobody could penetrate the sea of red-jerseyed Eagle defenders.

The problem also wasn't getting the ball in the goal box, but actually taking shots on net. Harvard had only one shot on goal all game to BC's 10--despite many corner kicks and cross passes right in front of the Eagle goal.

"We've got to be more tenacious in the box," freshman Kevin Silva said. "We have the skill, you just have to want the ball more."

The Eagles went up early in the first half when they caught Harvard's defense off guard.

"On the first goal our team was flat," Silva said. "It was like it was in slow motion. One of their players just took the ball and beat two of our players and took his shot, and it went over Ned and rolled in."

"But we didn't give up. We dictated play after that," Silva added.

But if Harvard dictated the flow of play, it could not score and BC's second goal deflated the Crimson.

On a free kick from just outside the circle, BC's Paul Johnston chipped the ball in to junior Brian Siracusa, who drilled it in the far corner of the goal with just 10 minutes to go.

"Going down 2-0 with only ten minutes left takes the wind out of your sails," junior Pepper Brill said. "The goals we gave up were a result of a mental breakdown. We need more intensity in our defensive box. The second goal they scored was just lazy defense."

And of course, it would not be soccer without plenty of warnings issued to both teams. BC played a very physical game and played Harvard bodies often instead of the ball, leading the referee to give countless yellow cards. No players were ejected, however.

In its last game at Yale, Harvard's rowdy play led to the ejection of senior Josh Martin and junior Derek Swaim, who were ineligible for this game.

With only five games left in the season, the Crimson is hoping to pull it together.

"The team needs to get it together," Carlson said. "We play well at times and our record doesn't show it. We broke down on defense at crucial times and they capitalized. Hopefully it'll come together for the last few games."