Coalition Reacts To Mansfield

Pres. Rudenstine Declines Comment

By Marion B. Gammill

The Coalition of Harvard Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Groups decided at a meeting last night to ask President Neil L. Rudenstine to publicly affirm the University's commitment to nondiscrimination in wake of controversial testimony by Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield Jr. '53.

Formerly called the Leadership Council, the Coalition has representatives from different gay, lesbian and bisexual groups across campus.

Yesterday afternoon before the meeting, however, Rudenstine declined to comment on Mansfield's remarks.

Under cross-examination this week, Mansfield referred to homosexuality as "shameful" and said it "undermines civilization."

Mansfield was testifying this week in a constitutional challenge to Amendment 2, an amendment to the Colorado state constitution approved last year that would ban local communities from having anti-discrimination statutes based on sexual orientation.

Speaking through a spokesperson, the president said there would be no official Administration response to Mansfield.

Newly-elected Coalition Co-chair Charles L. Outcault, a Divinity

School student, said the group supportsMansfield's right to free speech, but wants theUniversity to emphasize that Mansfield does notrepresent the University.

"It really reflects ignorance and bigotry,"Outcault said. "We decided to meet with PresidentRudenstine to have him publicly affirm theUniversity's anti-discrimination policy and tomake clear that Mansfield speaks for Mansfield."

Coalition member Andrew J. Greenspan, a medicalschool student, is one of the sub-group in chargeof communicating with Rudenstine about theMansfield issue.

"I'm sending a letter to his personal assistantrequesting a meeting," he said. "We're [also]waiting to see how many of the Harvard faculty andAdministration are willing to condemn what hesaid. It was intolerant and divisive."

Greenspan would not say, however, what theCoalition would do if Rudenstine refuses to hold ameeting or publicly reaffirm the University'santi-discrimination policy.

"I'll wait until we speak to PresidentRudenstine," he said. "We'll take our cue fromhim. We want to know where he's coming from."

Outcault said the Coalition does not want tofocus on Mansfield to the detriment of otherissues on the agenda.

Some of the matters that the group will discusswith the Administration this fall include plansfor an archive of materials by and about gays,lesbians and bisexuals, a resource center and apostering campaign of lesbian erotica, Outcaultsaid.

The name change, Outcault said, was spurred bythe group's desire to be portrayed primarily as anetwork.

"We wanted to make sure that people who readabout us and people who are in [the Coalition]realize...that we don't set the agenda," he said."We hope individual students and staff groups dowhat they set out to do."

Stephen E. Frank contributed to thereporting of this story.