In Brief

Harvard Tops Chemistry Citation Impact Survey

By Steven G. Dickstein

The new science policy committee chaired by Provost Jerry R. Green met recently to discuss large-scale projects carried out at the University and sponsored by corporations.

Green refused to name specific projects discussed, but said that many of them were conducted by the Medical School and the School of Public Health, with some others being handled in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

"The University has industrial-sponsored research sponsored by a number of large companies, mostly in the medical area, but not exclusively," he said. "We had a general review of the nature of the agreements--technical, legal analysis, the University's risks...We also tried to assess the major scientific and academic benefits that we get out of having these kinds of sponsors."

The committee was formed to deal with issues relating to the interaction between science at Harvard and the outside world.

"We had very good legal advice and financial advice," he said. "We are trying to look at the way the University makes these agreements and what the sponsor asks of us as an institution...We're trying to make sure what we promise in these agreements we can actually deliver."

The committee will deal with research agreements between Harvard and smaller companies at its next meeting, Green said. "It's coming up pretty soon--it'll be in December," he said.