College Will Be Re-Evaluated

By Alessandra M. Galloni

A newly formed committee will review the administrative structure and organization of the College, Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles told the Faculty Council yesterday.

The committee, co-chaired by McKay Professor of Computer Science Harry R. Lewis '68 and FAS Administrative Dean Nancy Maull, should present its recommendations to Knowles by the end of the academic year, Lewis said.

"It's an organizational review of the various offices that are under the dean of a College and how they relate to each other," Lewis said. "The object is to make sure that the number of people working on the College administration and the number of services provided for students...is sensibly organized."

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said he and Knowles discussed reviewing the College's governing structure throughout the past year. Since the College has grown significantly in the last 20 years, the administration thought an examination would be timely, Jewett said.

"There hasn't been a systematic look at the College in a long time," Jewett said. "For any structure that has grown, it is a useful process to gothrough."

Although the committee has not yet held itsfirst meeting, the sorts of issues that will beraised are the efficiency of non-academicadvising, and the relations between the housesystem and the administration, Jewett said.

Jewett said the committee might examine howadvising in the houses relates to advising in thedepartments and at the Office of Career Services.

"It's important that, for example, that theadvising of freshmen is coordinated with thedepartments," said Jewett.

Since the houses are directly under theCollege's jurisdiction, the committee will examinewhether services provided by the houses aresufficiently helpful to students, and are notbeing unnecessarily duplicated by the College,Jewett said.

"The people who are associated with the housesare associated with the College," Lewis said."This is part of the review of the organization ofthe College."

Lewis said the first task of the committee willbe to gather information about all the governingoffices of the College by talking to faculty deansand senior administrators.

"We will take information from anyone who wantsto provide it," Lewis said