Dean to Proctors: No Dogs Allowed

FDO Might Ban Fido From Yard

By Jeffrey N. Gell

Man's best friend may soon become public enemy number one in Harvard Yard.

The Freshman Dean's Office plans to prohibit newly appointed proctors from keeping pets in university housing beginning next year, ending a long tradition of dogs and cats in the Yard, Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth S. Nathans said yesterday.

"In the proctor statement, it literally says that proctors newly appointed should expect that animals would not be permitted to reside," Nathans said, "but I would not assume that policy to be retroactive."

But Toby Brewster, a proctor in Greenough Hall, said his dog has been reassuring to many students and hopes that the policy will not change.

"I think a dog makes things more personal, and I've had 90 percent positive reactions to her," Brewster said. "Every office in the university should have a dog, but unfortunately we are moving in the other direction."

Nathans said that the policy change is not definite, but that the office of Manager of Harvard Yard Facilities Eric C. Engel has asked that pets no longer live in the Yard. Engel was not available for comment.

"When Yard Operations has to send workers into the suites," Nathans said, "[having pets] makes maintenance in the rooms difficult."

Nathans added that "there also has been some concern about student allergies."

Dr. David S. Rosenthal '59, director of University Health Services, said he has spoken to L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of the College, about UHS doctors' concerns that pets may exacerbate student allergies.

"There have been some concerns by several physicians about students who have asthma," Rosenthal said. "Dogs do carry lots of allergens."

Rosenthal said he does not oppose the presence of dogs in student housingaltogether but said dogs should be kept away fromstudents with allergies.

"I oppose dogs if there's a dog who is going tobe in a common area," Rosenthal said. "The issuecame up that there were dogs in apartment areasshared by a number of students."

But Christina S. Griffith, assistant dean offirst-year students, said the FDO already keepsstudents with allergies away from pets.

"I would never put a student with an allergy ofany kind in an entry with a pet," Griffith said."Most students really love having dogs around."

Linda M. Pedelty, a dog-owner and proctor inWeld Hall, said the benefits pets confer outweightheir risks.

"The students get so much out of having [mydog] as part of the entryway," she said.

Nathans said she enjoys the company of pets andhopes the policy change will not affect adverselythe hiring of proctors.

"I was asked about [the proposed change] buteveryone knows where my sentiments are with sevenanimals in my home," she said. "I would hope thiswould not make a difference in proctors.