Brown Dashes W. Cagers' Ivy Title Hopes, 87-81

Big Shot

By John C. Ausiello

It's kind of sad that it had to happen this way.

Co-Captain Erin Maher wanted more on the night that Maher broke Harvard's all-time career scoring record. So did her family and all of the fans.

They probably dreamed of a trademark step-back three pointer to give the Crimson a victory over hated Brown, something like this: Harvard's down by two, three seconds left. Proudfit passes to Maher, who lets fly from the deep corner...swish! Harvard wins!

Or maybe a game-saving steal that led to an easy lay-up: Maher anticipates the pass, steps in and grabs the ball! She's got just one player to beat...she scores! Harvard wins!

In either scenario, the Crimson would get the victory. But dreams just don't always come true.

Last night at Briggs Cage, Maher did become the women's all-time leading scorer in Harvard history with 1,306 points.

Free Throw the Clincher

The point came on a free throw just 45 seconds into the second half. It gave the Crimson a momentary 42-41 lead, and gave Maher a place in the record books.

The senior from Davenport, Iowa at last stood taller than all the rest. Taller than all the women who have called Briggs Cage their home.

"She's an exceptional athlete, and more importantly, a great individual," Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith said. "Every coach wants a player like Erin. Her work ethic is tremendous, and she knows the game so well. She has brought a lot to Harvard basketball, and she can't be replaced."

But Harvard did not win the game.

For a player of Maher's intensity, the wins and losses are all that matters. The records can belong to others.

"It's a nice honor," Maher said. "It's nice that my family was here. But I would rather have won the game."

The loss dashed what little hopes remained of an Ivy League title. Once again, the Crimson will have to settle for second place behind the Bears from Providence.

This fact simply does not sit well with Maher.

She likes to win. Period. You can see it on her face when she plays. She never shows too much excitement. It could get in the way of the business at hand.

That's why it just didn't seem right when she finally did break the record. A win, what she wanted most, was missing.

Oh, sure, in the long run it won't affect her. She's had such a tremendous career, nothing could take away from it. Shortly, it will become just another game, and she'll be able to enjoy her accomplishments.

Will Travel to Final Four

In fact, in a few weeks she'll be in New Orleans for the women's NCAA Final Four. Recently, she was selected as one of eight players to shoot in a three-point contest, held at halftime of the finals.

By then, the loss will mean little.

Years from now she'll know that she was one of the best to wear the Crimson and White. By then the loss will mean absolutely nothing.

But today it's a little sad.

Everyone knew that Maher would eventually get the scoring record. After last year's MVP season, the record books had her name written all over it.

It's just that we all expected her to get the 'W' along with it.

After all, that's what she deserved.