Professor Denies Link to Film

Alumnus Questions Accuracy of 'The Liberators'

By Melissa Lee

A University of Texas professor listed as a historical consultant to the controversial documentary "Liberators" yesterday denied any connection with the research of the film.

The documentary, set to be shown on campus Monday, is "filled with inaccuracies" about the role of the Black troops credited with aiding the liberation of Nazi concentration camps Dachau and Buchenwald, according to University of Texas professor of history Robert H. Abzug '67.

The film has been the subject of many accusations of historical inaccuracies, including some in a recent article in The New Republic. Abzug said the film misdates events, places troops in wrong locations and misidentifies specific camps.

"I didn't want my name attached to something so inaccurate," said Abzug, who authored the book Inside the Vicious Heart: Americans and the Liberation of Nazi Concentration Camps.

He expressed concern that the errors might "give ammunition involved in hate propaganda" to Holocaust revisionists, who might use the factual discrepancies to support their arguments that the Holocaust never occurred.

But Thirteen/WNET, the New York public television network that produced the film, released a statement defending the accuracy of the film.

"Thirteen stands by the film," spokesperson Colby Kelly said. "What it boils down to is, does the historical record or the military record have the last word?"

Kelly also said the filmmakers did consult Abzug "during the research phase of the film," as well as for the film's the companion book. Abzug, however, said he had no contact with producers since last August, after he was asked to be named as a consultant on a federal grant application.

Abzug also said the publishers of the book, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, did not use his suggestions in editing the book, which he also called "inaccurate."

Despite the ongoing dispute on the documentary's accuracy, touched off by a critical article in this week's issue of The New Republic, Abzug and sponsors of the film's campus showing said the film is still valuable because it has sparked new dialogue between the Black and Jewish communities.

"The film is not the most impor- tant thing," said assistant professor of law Charles J. Ogletree Jr., moderator of a panel discussion on Black-Jewish relations that will follow the film.

"I think what's most important to students is to have a sense that there's is a community with a high level of tolerance working to understand our unique characteristics," he said.

Rev. Jesse L. Jackson will introduce next week's Sanders Theater showing, sponsored by the Office of the President, the Office of the Dean of Students and the Afro-American Studies Department.

The panel discussion will include representatives from both the Black Students Association and the Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel