Actor Speaks at AAA Conference

Media Role in Stereotyping of Asian-Americans Discussed

By Nara K. Ahn

Actor Steve Park urged Asian-Americans to be more visible Saturday morning as he spoke to an audience of about 20 students in Emerson Hall during the opening event of Reflections '93.

Park, who has appeared in such movies as "Do the Right Thing" and "Toys," spoke on the media's role in creating and perpetuating stereotypes of Asian-Americans.

The annual conference, sponsored by the Asian American Association (AAA), included workshops on topics such as the Asian-American identity and the "model minority" myth.

"We wanted to address the difference between the image Asian-Americans want to project and the image that is received by the public," said Joan R. Cheng '95, co-chair of this year's conference.

Mark H. Kim '94, co-president of AAA, said the group organized the conference to heighten recognition of issues concerning Asian-Americans.

"Awareness is key," Kim said. "If you don't have the awareness that the Asian-American community has many immediate needs, then without that awareness those issues won't be addressed."

Park, who has also worked in the comedy series "In Living Color," spoke about the difficulty of playing stereotypical roles such as a Korean grocer in Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing."

"I think a lot of people were disturbed with the role because it came off [as] so stereotypical," Park said. "Part of me hated the character because growing up that's what I didn't want to be."

Park said he tried to make small changes in his script to contradict the stereotype he portrayed. When the pizzeria burned down in one scene, Park said he banged on the hood of a car to show frustration.

"I wanted to show that I cared," Park said. "I didn't want to make the character racist--the Korean-American who was alienated, insensitive and working to make money."

Park said Hollywood needs more Asian-American artists, writers, actors and power to change the image of Asian-Americans.

"I feel that we share a common insecurity," he said. "As Asian-Americans, we share a common pain because I think in order for a community to be whole, we need our stories to be told."

But few attended the speech, and students interviewed said they had not heard about the workshops or Park's opening speech. "It could have been better publicized," said Scott D. Sugino '96.

But Kim attributed the low turnout to apathy in Harvard's Asian-American community.

"The Asian-Americans at Harvard are not very aware of Asian-American issues," Kim said. "I think Asian-Americans don't put a high priority on Asian-American empowerment in this country."

For Asian-Americans to become more visible in the future, Kim said students must heighten their own awareness. "If you don't get the awareness at the college level, you as a professional probably won't deal with the issues as an adult," Kim said.

Reflections '93 also included a Tai Chi performance that was sponsored by AAA, the Chinese Wushu Research Institute and internationally renowned Master Bow Sim Mark.