Softball Splits BC

Trade Games with Eagles 4-2, 0-1 (in 8)

By Peter K. Han

The gray skies over Boston College yesterday afternoon could not dim the Harvard softball team's sparkling performance in a doubleheader against the Eagles.

After winning the first game 4-2 and losing the second in an extrainning squeaker, 1-0, the Crimson players were ready to proclaim their recent mini-slump over.

"We've had a couple of not-so-good performances lately, and these games were like a turning point," junior Captain Nancy Johnson said.

After losing a tough game to Providence on Tuesday, Harvard (11-7 overall, 3-1 Ivy) was eager to rebound against traditional powerhouse BC.

In the first game, senior ace Christine Carr powered the Crimson to its first win over the Eagles in recent memory with another strong showing on the mound.

After falling behind early, 1-0, Harvard rallied behind a balanced hitting attack to seize the victory.

In the second game, sophomore Jana Meader pitched brilliantly for Harvard but was stuck with a loss when the Crimson was shut out offensively.

"It was a difficult game all around," Johnson said. "It was getting kind of dark and rainy, and we just couldn't score."

After a tense, eight inning pitching duel, BC finally broke through to score and gain a split in the double-header. The Harvard players were satisfied, though. Heading into an Ivy League showdown with top-ranked Yale this Saturday, yesterday's performance was more than enough.