Softball Lose Two To Brown

Bear Pitching Key

By Aimee C. Pease

It's amazing what a little chicken parmesan and spagetti will do to lift the spirits.

After a long, cold 20 innings in Providence, R.I., where the Harvard softball team (13-11 overall, 3-5 Ivy) lost a twinbill to Brown 1-0, 4-1, the Crimson retired to a teammate's house for a nice homecooked meal.

"The losses were upsetting," Captain Nancy Johnson said. "But we're awesome anyway."

The Crimson demonstrated its exceptional potential during the first game against the powerhouse Bears, with neck-and-neck 1-1 play for thirteen innings. But then Brown pulled ahead.

With runners on first and second, Brown grounded to freshman Danielle Feinberg between first and second base. Feinberg threw to freshman Amy Reinhard for the out at second base, then Reinhard pivoted and threw to first for a picture-perfect double-play. Almost.

Reinhard's throw missed the first baseman's glove, and the Brown runner who had advanced to third on the hit took the overthrow opportunity to score. And that was that.

"Both teams were trying not to lose, no one was trying not to lose, no one was trying to win," junior Nicole Desharnais said. "It was a pitching duel."

And Brown's pitcher played smart, throwing around the strike zone, carefully limiting her good pitches, team members said. Once the Crimson got behind on the count, it was less threatening.

"We became less aggressive hitters," Desharnais said. "We just tried to make contact."

The only contact resulting in runs for the Crimson came after Reinhard doubled to right field, Meader sacrificed to advance her to third, and a wild pitch sent her home.

The Crimson pitchers were no walk-overs either, Sophomore Jana Meader began the twinbill, pitching the first five innings and allowing only a few hits. Senior Christine Carr relieved her and continued for the next 15 (!) innings.

Understandably, Carr got tired. A momentary lapse of energy mid-way through the second game resulted in four runs for Brown, a deficit from which Harvard couldn't come back.

With a first or second place finish in the Ivies now out of reach with the losses, the Crimson hopes to take on a different role.

"We can play the part of the spoiler," sophomore Ann Kennon said, "If we beat Princeton [the Ivy League winner for the last ten years], we'll go out with a bang."