BSA Elects Bragg As New President

By Asya M. Muchnick

Promising to be an active representative of the concerns of Black students, Alvin Bragg '95 last night took the helm as president of the Black Students Association (BSA).

In a telephone interview, Bragg, who ran unopposed, said speeches last night from 10 new BSA board members reflected a general trend of issues that will come up in the next year.

About 30 members showed up for the balloting. Four board positions were contested, and balloting will not be completed until today.

BSA goals include establishing a network of Black alumni for funding, pushing for office space and a cultural center, promoting unity within the Black community on campus and pooling academic and career resources.

Bragg, currently BSA vice-president, said that in his new post, he will concentrate on the role of administrating and representing the interests of BSA's members rather than promoting a personal agenda.

"I do have my own ideas but I perceive my primary role to be an administrator and a manager," Bragg said. "Right now I consider the slate clean. For the rest of the year we'll be brainstorming."

Candidates for the four positions still contested proposed plans to increase communication and cooperation among minority communities on campus.

"If we spend so much time fighting each other, we'll be going nowhere," said Adrienne R. Bradley '96, a candidate for the post of BSA representative to the Minority Student Alliance.

A closer rapport between the BSA and other minority groups would also ease competition for funding from the College, said Kim Patillo '96, who is running for the position of representative to the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations.

"We have to let [other student groups] know where we're coming from and what we're coming for," Patillo said. "Now they are our allies. If we make them our friends, how can they resist?"

Other proposed projects include BSA-sponsored service programs targeting Black communities in the Boston area, a newsletter publicizing BSA events, and a long talked-about intercultural center for minority students.

Tiffany C. Graham '96 and Alynda D. Wheat '96 said the group is planning the Harvard Union, an organization which will provide "a forum for scholarly national debate" on Afro-centric issues and bring speakers to campus.

Despite the small number of contested positions, next year's BSA administration will see a large turnover, Bragg said. Of the 19 members running for positions, 14 have never before served on the BSA board. Eleven candidates were first-year students.

Bragg said members of the Class of 1996 have been deeply involved in the BSA this year.

"The general trend of the past year is that freshmen 'carry elections,"' Bragg said. "Their vote is the swing vote. They're freshmen, they have new ideas and boundless enthusiasm. This year they acted on the enthusiasm by setting forth their own candidates.