P. C. CORNER

Those Wonderful Modems

By Haibin Jiu

Question: Who are the most frustrated at fair Havard?

Some would count students who still can't dial into the Science Center computer pool, commonly known as HUSC, after more than 50 attempts at 1:00 a.m., among the chronically distraught.

But a step back just a decade, to a time when expensive high technology wasn't taken for granted as it is today, reveals how dependent we are on all aspects of computers.

Not long ago, one had to go up to to a bank teller after waiting in line for hours to make a withdrawl; today there are automated teller machines (ATMs) that dispense cold cash as quickly as you can spend it. But there are still those who complain that it takes too long for the machine to honor their requests.

Then, there are those of us who curse at modems that can transfer 9600 bits of data each second, having forgotten the good old days when 1/32nd of that speed was deemed unbelievably fast. Of course, as information transmission becomes increasingly important in everyday life, the need for better electronic communications drives high the demand for faster and even smarter modems.

The word "modem" was coined to spare the everyday user from having to refer to the device's more descriptive but longer name: modulator/ demodulator.Simply put, a modem takes analogsignals coming in over the phone line and converts them to digital 0's and 1's your computer can understand, and vice versa. Like the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in your compact disc player, the modem is a link between the analog and digital worlds.

The greatest advantage of the modem, then, is that it allows the transfer of data over ordinary phone lines, at no extra cost, barring the necessary hardware and software and paying for each phone call. The same advantage lies behind the popularization of fax technology, which allows documents to be transfered directly into hard copies.

Most modems in use today are capable of transferring data at 2400 bits per second, or 2400 baud, as your computer- minded dinner companions like to say. While these devices are no speed champions, their prices have dropped to seemingly ridiculously low levels, often selling for under $50.

One tier up are modems with speed rated 9600 baud, which, despite of a price tag of more than $100, are winning over many a computer user. Most of these modems are actually able to work faster than the rated spped of 9600 baud; equipped with the so- called V.42bis data- compression standard, they can compress and decompress data at a ratio of 4:1, which means up to 38,400 bits of data, or orughly three double- spaced pages of text, can be sent or received per second.

So, to satisfy the data- hungry- and also to keep up with the times- the HArvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS) have set up dial- up lines that support data- transfer speed of up to 14,400 baud. With the V.42bis compression turned on, that translate into almost five full pages of typed text per second. Even the hard- core users will be satisfied- at least for now.

May HUSC users aren't actually concerned about how fast data travel over the phone; their frustration stems more from the fact that there just aren't enough lines to accomodate ven a fraction of those eager to dial into HUSC to check e-mail or read USENET news or do their problem sets, most of which can be done at the slower speed 2400 baud but only when you can dial in.

To address this complaint, HASCS recently added new modems to the dial-in pool converted existent old lines to the higher speed of 14,400 baud, according to acting director Richard Steen. All counted, at present there are 39 14,400-baud lines and twelve 2400-baud ones.

"We have been monitoring modem transactions" into the HUSC systems, Steen says. If access demand remains high- as it surely will as more and more students fall in love with the internet, the international network that originated with the Pentagon- funded networking research- more lines will be opened up.

To dial into HUSC, the best thing to do now is to stay away from the peak period, which Steen says lasts from about 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.a Also, says Steen, try not to stay on the line for too long, as many other users will be waiting for you to get off line.

Currently, the fastest modems that can be hooked up to ordinary phone lines (as opposed to dedicated data lines) process up to 28,800 bits of uncompressed data per second, a speed that is pushing the physical limit on the metal wires and one HASCS is not about to support any time soon.

But there's more to look forward to. In all probability, the next decade, in addition to the luxuries of high definition TV and intelligent ATM'a will witness faster telecommunications made possible by fiber-optics.

Haibin Jiu '94, associate photography chair of The CRimson, is former president of the hArvrd Computer Society. His column appears on the Science and Health page on alternate Tuesday.

Breaking News