Union Pickets

Workers Protest at Bio Labs

By Marion B. Gammill

A local union has been picketing the use of a non-union electrical company to install new wiring systems in a Harvard laboratory building, union representatives confirmed yesterday.

Local 103, a Dorcester-based union of electrical workers, has been picketing in front of the Biological Laboratories for the past three months, protesting the selection of Bent Electrical Contractors, a non-union electric firm, said Charles Monahan, a business agent for Local 103.

Bent Electrical was contracted to handle electrical systems for the building's on-going renovation project by contractor C.E. Floyd, said president Thomas P. Bent.

"This has nothing to do with union and non-union. This has strictly to do with community standards," Monahan said.

Monahan said Bent Electrical, a Somerville-based company, pays below the prevailing union wage, and has refused to answer the union's questionnaires about wage levels and benefits offered. The union is required to process the questionnaire before picketing.

"The courts tell us that if they do not answer, we can assume that they do not live up to those standards," Monshan said. "We know they don't participate in an indentured service program."

But Bent said the issue at stake is union against non-union labor.

He disagreed with Keough's assertion that Bent Electric treats its workers poorly. "We have full health insurance--we pay 80 percent of the cost, they pay 20 percent," he said. "We pay $600 to $700 a week, above the state average."

Bent agreed that these rates were lower than union rates, but said his customer base would be unable to afford union rates. "We're a small shop--we don't do huge buildings like the unions can," he said. Bent said he had not answered the questionaire because he felt that the information was "none of their business."

Michael N. Lichten, acting director for the office of physical resources for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, said the University has used Bent Electrical several times in the past for smaller jobs.

Carolyn Young, associate director of labor relations, said the matter had not been formally taken up with her office yet.

"When they do give us information about [violations], we are more than happy to look at it," she said. "They have not come to me about it."

Monahan said there are usually about eight union representatives picketing around the building on Divinity Ave.

One of the picketers, Edward M. Keough, criticized the general quality of work done by non-union firm, saying that in the long run, using cheaper contractors costs the University more money because of shoddy construction.

"How can we compete if they pay their help minimum wage and don't give health benefits?" Keough said. "We'd like to see everyone make a decent living