Two Men Indicated in Shooting

Cambridge Man Remains at Large in Square Crime

Two local men were indicted earlier this month on charges that they fired at least four shots into a crowd in Harvard Square last March, but one of them remains at large.

Cambridge resident Anthony Bennett and William Baro of Somerville were charged with separate counts of armed with intent to murder, possession of a firearm and assault with a dangerous weapon.

An official in the Middlesex Country district attorney's office said she did not have complete information on the indictments. If convicted, each man could face "well over" 10 years in prison, the official said.

Baro, the Somerville resident, was present for a pre-trial conference on Thursday.

But it is unclear when--or if--Bennett will stand trial. The Cambridge resident did not show up for his arraignment, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.

On the night of March 12, gunfire tore through the Square, frightening bystanders, including several Harvard students, but resulting in no injuries.

Eyewitnesses at the time estimated that about eight gunshots range out. One bullet shattered a first floor window in the Bay-Bank Harvard Trust building. Another landed in the mail box on Mass. Ave, in front of Bay-Bank. Cambridge and Harvard police both participated in making arrests, with university police Detective Hubert Estes apprehending one suspect near the Apley Court complex on Holyoke Street.