Malcontents

By Brad EDWARD White

In a society that has betrayed its own principles of freedom and liberty, two morons named Beavis and Butt-head have come to rescue us from collective repression. As MTV's disclaimer carefully warns before every episode of this animated masterpiece, Beavis and Butt-head are "crude," "self-destructive" and "antisocial." But what makes the cartoon intriguing is the appreciation among its devoted viewers--myself included. The disclaimer appropriately explains: "For some reason the wiener-heads make us laugh."

Beavis and Butt-head have inherited the controversial legacy of Lenny Bruce and Andrew "Dice" Clay. These raucous entertainers force us to confront the fact that in a society which supposedly prizes freedom, repression actually fuels the national consciousness. Nowadays, liberals, as well as conservatives, are finding greater justification for stifling individual liberty. In human activities as ancient as pornography, conservatives call for public decency and morality while liberals bemoan the objectification of women and economic exploitation. The forces of repression are increasingly converging, eclipsing the freedom of the individual.

In this desperate climate of collective, unspoken misery, Beavis and Butt-head emerge as perverse bastions of liberty. With each passing day, the chains of conformity shackle more citizens--all, of course, in the name of greater "freedom." This hypocrisy would be ironic, perhaps, if it weren't so tragic. Yet in the midst of this erosion of freedom, teen angst rears its ugly head--its Butt-head, if you will. And with him, his soulmate Beavis.

In a country which prides itself on its commitment to liberty, Americans are increasingly oppressed by a paternalistic government intent on saving us from ourselves. Meanwhile, prestigious universities, the supposed sancutaries of free thought, adopt enlightened policies like stringent speech codes, often implicitly.

And the current democratic morality of our culture prohibits us from examining the fundamental problems of the ages--especially in the realm where such an investigation should be most natural. In a climate such as ours, questioning something like equality is tantamount to a felony. Never mind that the greatest minds in human history have struggled with such concepts. Racial equality? Gender equality? Multiculturalism? Animal rights? Today, the debate is over. We have found Truth. And if you dare to question the collective democratic spirit, you shall be struck down like the intellectually inferior dog that you are. In fact, I should expect to be crucified for even making these observations. Tolerance apparently only extends to accepted wisdom. In the pursuit of freedom for all, we are wandering haphazardly down the path of complete repression. Only in such a miserable intellectual vacuum can we take such supreme delight in the intensely stupid antics of two poorly-drawn, obnoxious cartoon characters.

As universities become perhaps the most repressive regimes in America, Beavis and Butt-head represent the only possible escape within the present paradigm. Their lesson is instructive. As Charles Young of Rolling Stone correctly explains, "Because they are stupid, they are free." Sure, Butt-head's insights might be tautological: "I like stuff that's cool and I don't like stuff that sucks." But in all his stupidity, he is free. The mind has effectively been abandoned, as Beavis and Butt-head indicate proudly: "Words suck...If I wanted to read, I'd go to school." In the pursuit of freedom, the academy becomes the enemy. Unfortunately, in the process, so do all things intellectual. After all, what use is learning when the enforced method of instruction is laden with cultural prejudices while denouncing the very notion of prejudice?

In their complete disregard for proper protocol, Beavis and Butt-head insult everything sacred in the modern democratic regime. In this context, Kurt Andersen of Time provides genuine insight by terming "Beavis and Butt-head" as perhaps "the bravest show ever run on national television." And MTV's creative director, Judy McGrath, aptly identifies the genesis of this courage: the members of the MTV generation are "sick to death of being politically correct."

Amen.

From the collective mindset of the modern intelligentsia, Beavis and Butt-head are perceived as leaders of a rival morality. Yet, in an exclusive Rolling Stone interview, Butt-head rejects the very idea of collective morality--instead, he remains true to his own bawdy brand of heroic individualism. "I like to burn stuff," Butt-head explains, "but that doesn't mean you have to. Huh-huh. Huh-huh. It would be cool if you did, though." As Beavis and Butt-head represent the voice of a new generation, their appeal is self-evident. They pass judgement on all they witness with total abandon in a culture unworthy of conformity, enjoying themselves in the process.

They are intent on destroying pathetic constructions like modern morality and education, which amuse and abuse their own pathetic lives. In such a climate, their nihilistic obsession with fire ("Fire! Fire! Fire!") becomes understandable and even admirable. The destructive instinct is nurtured in a culture where so much deserves to be destroyed.

But for the worshippers of both the PC-brand of collective democratic morality and the traditional, conservative Judeo-Christian variety, Beavis and Butt-head are tantamount to the Antichrist. Of course, that's pretty cool. Huh-huh. Huh-huh.