Adams T-Shirt Slogan Unrevealed

By Brant K. Wong

The Adams House Committee approved a new t-shirt Sunday night, but the committee won't any what slogan will appeal on the garment.

Students will have to wait until the shirts go on sale, committee members said.

One member of the committee said the decision to withhold the information was made so other students would be "surprised."

Joel L. Derfner '95, who came up with the new slogan, would only describe the t-shirt as "not offending people," but "pretentious enough to make people buy it."

The committee considered several suggestions: "Our closets fit two comfortably," "We bring new meaning to the 'screw your roommate' dance," "We gladly feast on those who would suppress us" and "We are what you pretend to be."

House t-shirt decisions have been controversial in the past. Two years ago, the committee sold black shirts with the pink words: "We're all gay and we're coming to get you."

At that time, some students said they found the shirt design offensive.

Some students said they don't understand the need for confidentiality about the t-shirt choice for this year.

"It doesn't really bother me" Andre M. Rubin '97 said. "I think it should be known. I don't see any reason why not."

At one point, the committee considered offering two shirts but rejected the idea.

"Having two shirts would breed dissent in our happy little family at Adams House," Sarah E. Funke '95 said during the meeting.

Committee members also said they are considering the possibility of making their meetings confidential. If approved, house members who don't attend the meeting would not be permitted to know what happened during them.

Members left the question unresolved, and House committee co-chair Annette Kazmerski '95 urged members to use their discretion in discussing the meeting.