Three W. Golfers Form Team

By Jill L. Brenner

Although the Harvard women's golf team did not have the numbers to compete officially as a "team" last weekend at the Mount Holyoke Invitational, in spirit they were as much of a team as the others.

Equipped with only three players, the golfers were forced to play in the individual competition. But let's not overlook the fact that whether or not a school arrives with the magic number--four, each golfer needs the support of others.

"We consider ourselves to be a team even though technically we are not," sophomore Alexis Boyle said. "We are a very supportive and close group, always conscious of how the other people are doing."

Boyle, freshman Susane Ranere and junior Madge Roberts still look at each competition as a cooperative event.

At Mount Holyoke, each of the players competed in a round of golf on consecutive days.

Although Harvard did not have a place on the team scoreboard in the end, the three players' accomplishments emphasized not only individual ability, but also team cohesiveness.

Boyle led the Crimson, coming out of the weekend with a sixth-place finish after shooting rounds of 84 and 88. Her main difficulties came with her short game.

"I was hitting the ball really well all weekend," Alexis Boyle said. "But my putting and chipping caused me some problems."

Susane Ranere finished off a great weekend of play with a 16th place finish, with scores of 98 and 85.

"I hit the ball well," said Renere. "The scores were higher because of the exceptionally hard greens."

Madge Roberts, finishing in 27th place, had a special day on Saturday, shooting below 100 for her first time ever in a tournament. She ended the competition with scores of 98 and 104.

Although Harvard could not compete for the team title, which Rutgers ultimately won, the women golfers left the Orchard Golf Course just as the other schools did--as a team.

"The team is great," Renere said. "Everything is going really well."

The Crimson golfers travel to Penn State for the ECACs on Friday.