Streisand May Speak at IOP

Tentative Title for Speech: "The Role of the Artist in Society"

By Kristen Welker

After Hollywood, Broadway and the U.S. Tennis Open, singer/actress Barbra Streisand may now be coming to the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Despite media reports in the last few days, the possibility of Streisand speaking at the Institute of Politics has not yet been finalized, according to Kennedy School spokesperson Steve Singer.

"We've been talking about it for a number of months and dates have been scheduled and postponed," Singer said yesterday.

Best known for her singing and acting ability, Streisand has also made a name for herself both in Hollywood and Washington D.C. as a liberal political activist.

The Kennedy School has "a very wide net" in choosing its speakers, Singer said. "[She is] very visible and very active in trying to involve Hollywood in campaigns and public police."

Streisand, often referred to as star FOB (Friend of Bill), has been criticized for her work during the Clinton campaign. IOP members hope she would address this criticism in her speech, Singer said.

The actress has tentatively entitled the speech, "The Role of The Artist In Society."

According to the Boston Globe, Provost and Kennedy School Dean Albert Carnesale last year offered Streisand the opportunity to speak at the IOP through Margery Tabankin, a Kennedy School fellow. Tabankin is the director of the nonprofit Streisand Foundation and a friend of Streisand's.