Adams Debates House Shirt

Discussion Reveals Clashing Perceptions of Dorm's Image

By Adam M. Kleinbaum

A debate over this year's Adams House t-shirt slogan last night became an argument over what precisely the house character is.

Similar to last year's dispute over the traditionally elitist Eliot House shirt, the house committee discussion centered around whether Adams' old-time image as an artsy haven still holds true.

"There still exists a mind set of what the house used to be," Committee Co-Chair William C. Gallaga '95 said. "It's still on students' minds, even if it's not as visible in the house today."

The proposed slogan "We are what we pretend to be" refers to Adams House's reputation for being "the Euro-trash crowd sitting in the corner of the dining hall smoking," said Committee Co-Chair Annette Kazmerski '95.

But Committee Treasurer Adam J. Cohen '95 objected to the slogan and the image it portrays.

"I think Adams's spirit has changed slightly," Cohen said. "We can let loose."

Several members of the committee referred to Adam's traditional spirit of tolerance.

"At Adams House, we're supposed to be fostering an attitude of tolerance," Kazmerski said, expressing the collective idea of the whole committee.

The other possible slogan discussed was "With friends like these, who needs to masturbate?" The committee postponed its final decision until next week.

In other House business, members of the committee discussed ways of reducing traffic in the house dining hall during meal hours, particularly the influx of first-year students.

Ideas on the table ranged from signs in the Freshman Union inviting first-years to remain there to similar messages in the Yard Bulletin.

But committee member Laura M. Brew '95 had other ideas. "The only way to keep them away is to make it unpleasant for them to come here," she said.