BSA Organizes Rally to Protest 'The Bell Curve'

By David L. Greene and Ethan M. Tucker

More than 80 students gathered on the steps of Widener library yesterday to protest The Bell Curve, a controversial book on the relation between race and intelligence co-authored by a late Harvard professor and a graduate of Harvard.

The rally, which began at noon and lasted for an hour and a half, was organized by the black Students Association (BSA).

Students held signs bearing the slogans "Break the Curve" and "Embrace Truth, Not Hate."

Kristen M. Clarke '97, president of the BSA, opened the rally by emphasizing the importance and universal nature of the issues raised by The Bell Curve.

"We are here today united, Black, Latino, Asian, Jewish and white," she said. "This is an issue which rests on the top of our agenda."

Clarke then questioned the authors' motives for writing The bell Curve." The real issue at hand is not IQ," she said. "[The authors'] hidden agenda is aimed at eliminating welfare and hurting the poor."

The Bell Curve, co-authored by political scientist Charles S. Murray '65 and late Harvard professor Richard J. Herrnstein, has sparked campus debate over the last few weeks.

The book claims that intelligence, as measured by IQ scores is strongly correlated with race. Murray and Herrnstein argue that social welfare spending is often futile, incapable of overcoming the challenges of lower intelligence.

Some on campus have called for an honest, academic appraisal of The Bell Curve, while others have dismissed the book as outright racism.

Joshua Bloodworth '97, treasurer of the BSA, questioned the credentials of the co-authors. He said Murray is a writer and Herrnstein was a psychologist and "neither is seriously engaged in the biological sciences."

Bloodworth further cautioned against any biologically based theories of racial superiority.

"This is not the first time biology has been used to structure a hierarchy of man," he said. He added that similar views held by eugenicists in the 1920s and 1930s led to the Holocaust.

Dr. S. Allen Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations also spoke. He labelled the book "atrocious" and called on students to speak up against it.

"I am disappointed in the silence, even in the Harvard community, surrounding the issue," he said. "You can't ignore this, and you must realize that this book is a sad and egregious part of our history."

But Kenneth A. Polite '97 said he saw the book as an opportunity for heightened self-awareness. He said minorities must do more than simply stand against The Bell Curve.

"The fundamental question we must ask for ourselves is What do we stand for?" he said. "I stand for the disadvantaged, the oppressed. We must no longer let others direct our revolution."

In an interview later last night, Clarke said the BSA's goals for the demonstration were achieved.

"It was a success in the sense that the first stage of a long process of combatting intellectual" legitimization of racism was made complete," Clarke said.

Other student leaders in attendance said they believed the rally was an important act.

"The Minority Student Alliance wholeheartedly supports the rally against this book," co-chair Kenneth S. Park '96 said. "The intelligent students of the Harvard community should work against it."

"It's important for people of all backgrounds to fight the racist agenda of this book," said Elie G. Kaunfer '95, chair of Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel. "This is not just a Black issue. It's important to everyone." Kaunfer is senior editor of The Crimson.

Clarke said she recognized the importance of people from other backgrounds supporting the demonstration.

"This is an issue which has strong implications for the future prospects of Black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, and white welfare and well-being in America," Clarke said.

Clarke closed the rally by calling on all those present to "establish a foundation of truth and justice that rejects The Bell Curve."