Cohagan: This Ohio Product Makes Good

By W. STEPHEN Venable

Senior forward Perry Cohagan is like rest of the Harvard men's hockey team in many ways.

He began his career on ice at age five, grew up playing hockey in youth leagues and throughout high school and played in extra developmental leagues outside of high school.

But Cohagan did all this despite fact that he hails not from the hockey breeding grounds of the Northeast, the Great Lakes or Canada, but from Parma, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland in the football-crazy state.

"Actually there is a lot of hockey in Ohio," Cohagan says, using himself as evidence.

Even so, Cohagan did not escape the pressures of football, playing all four years in high school. He was even considering continuing his gridiron career in college, before e opted to play hockey for the Crimson.

Cohagan attributes his decision to play hockey to playing in a junior hockey league after graduating from high school.

"Most kids in Cleveland who excell at hockey leave for the junior hockey leagues in Detroit or Canada when they are 16," Cohagan says. "Because I played football, I didn't play junior hockey until I was 18."

The junior hockey league prepared Cohagan to play at the collegiate level as well as giving him the opportunity to show his skills to Division I scouts--an option not available in Cleveland.

"The junior leagues definitely got me ready," Cohagan says.

Cohagan is seen as a swift skater, effective on the transition. He has played well for the Crimson. Last year seeing action in 30 games, scoring three goals and dishing out eight assists.

Among Cohagan's many contributions to the 1993-94 squad, perhaps the most notable was an overtime game-winning goal against St. Lawrence in the regular season finale.

This year Cohagan is expected to have a more active role in the Harvard offense and as a result could see a dramatic increase in production. He should see more scoring opportunities, as he will start the season on the first line with seniors Steve Martins and Cory Gustafson.

Though reluctant to state individual goals for the season, Cohagan is certain of his desire for the team this season.

"I want to win the whole thing," Cohagan says. "We've accomplished just about everything else since I've been here. There is only one thing left to do: win the national championship."

In the quest for the title, Cohagan will have a bit of a fan club back home in Parma, Ohio. Despite the Lack of college hockey coverage and exposure, Cohagan still has developed a group of supporters.

"Hockey is not really big there, so everyone knows about me and follows me," Cohagan says. "My high school coach has even come up to see me the past two years, and, of course, my parents also come to see me play."

And, he adds with a grin, "The neighborhood sports bar is also packed each year to watch the Beanpot."

It is also a safe bet that the sports bar will be packed for the other halfdozen or so Harvard games that will be on television year, as the Parma population will watch Cohagan's attempt to bring home a national title this season.