Winthrop House Discusses Constitution

Committee Sees Loss on Winter Formal; Residents to Vote on Proposed Changes

By Amar K. Goel

In a meeting last night, the Winthrop House committee discussed the success of its winter formal, changes to its constitution and a controversial "Secret Santa" program.

The committee took a loss on the formal. Exactly 177 tickets were sold. Sixty-six percent of Winthrop House residents attended.

"The winter formal is always a loss, but this was a loss," said committee co-chair Kristen M. Galanek '95.

Galanek also proposed several changes in the house constitution.

"It would be nice to have a document that we could leave to the new house committee so that they can avoid the scandals that we've had this year," Galanek said.

One change proposed that a house committee member must attend all house events. Another suggested that decisions made by the committee be final and that such decisions be overturned only by referendum.

The proposed changes will be voted on by house residents during dinners this week on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

The council also discussed a "Secret Santa" gift exchange.

The other committee co-chair, Sean N. Harte '95-'96, said he did not feel that it would be controversial, but other house members said that some might find the use of the name "Santa" offensive.

One member proposed the name "Secret Friend" for the program.

Shortly after the gift exchange discussion began, the meeting was declared off the record.

No consensus as to the name of the program had been reached.