Infant Sustains Head Injuries When Thrown From Carriage Near Campus

By Marios V. Broustas

An infant sustained minor head injuries yesterday after his mother's boyfriend threw the child from his carriage near Kirkland and Oxford Streets.

Cambridge police arrested the boyfriend, Cambridge resident Anthony Robinson, 34, for domestic assault and battery shortly after 1 p.m., according to Det. Frank Pasquarello of the Cambridge police department.

"A boyfriend and girlfriend were walking down [Kirkland] street and they got into an argument," Pasquarello said. "[Robinson] pushed the baby carriage [and] the baby fell and hit its head on the sidewalk."

The infant, Joseph McCarthy, was taken to Cambridge Hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to the side of the face and head.

Officials at the pediatric emergency unit of Cambridge Hospital confirmed that McCarthy was released earlier this afternoon, but they would not disclose the infant's status.

Police brought Robinson to the Cambridge police station, where he awaits today's arraignment hearing.

If convicted on all counts, Robinson could receive two and one-half years in a house of corrections, according to Middlesex Country District Attorney Spokesperson Jill Reilly.

The infant currently lives on Irving St. with his mother and Robinson.