Feaster Famine? Not for This Frosh

By Shira A. Springer

Anyone who has read Sports Illustrated or watched ESPN in recent weeks has heard about this year's phenomenal freshman class for college basketball.

From St. John's cover boy Felipe Lopez to Colgate's Caribbean big man Adonal Foyle, Dick Vitale has had plenty of opportunity to praise his "diaper dandies."

Fortunately, the Harvard women's basketball team is in keeping with this national trend and boasts its own "diaper dandy" in Alison Feaster. This week, Feaster added ECAC Rookie of the Week and Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors to her already impressive resume.

Feaster, known to her teammates and coach as Charlie, is a big-time player whose early-season statistics have shown the talent that made her a fourth-team Parade All-American, an AAU All-American and one of the top 15 members of last year's senior class as ranked by USA Today.

"She was labeled an impact player, which means she can come into Division One and have an immediate impact, but she's dominating." Harvard Coach Kathy Delancy-Smith says.

Feaster's 27 points in Harvard's tournament loss to LaSalle last weekend demonstrated the form that made her South Carolina's all-time leading scorer--male or female. She finished her Chester High School career with 3,427 points.

However, to mention only point totals and rebounds is to leave the picture incomplete. Anyone who is asked about Feaster's talents first mentions her personality rather than her playing skills.

Delancy-Smith counts her "incredible team spirit" and "how she cares most about the team" as some of Feaster's most valuable assets. Feaster's teammates concur.

"She has a great attitude--being on the court with her is a lot of fun," senior captain Tammy Butler says. "She's a very unselfish player. Everything about her is positive."

Feaster enjoys the team element of the game most, and winning certainly makes everything most enjoyable.

"Winning, when the whole team is clicking and the chemistry is right [is the best]," Feaster says.

The five-foot, 11-inch forward may be humble and retiring with her teammates, but she dominates the boards against opponents. Sunday's 27-point performance also carried with it 19 rebounds.

Opposing coaches have conceded to Delancy-Smith that it is impossible to stop Feaster. Teammates praise her athleticism and strength.

"She's the strongest person I ever played with or against," junior Elizabeth Proudfit says.

And the feeling is mutual. Feaster has had an especially strong relationship with Butler, who--like herself--is a forward.

"We are good for each other," Feaster say. "I push her is a sense, and she definitely pushes me. I have a lot of confidence in her as my teammate."

Although Feaster was recruited by a lot of "basketball schools," including defending National Champions North Carolina, she always wanted to come to the Ivy League.

In this day, when NBA trash talk is fined and players request $100 million contracts, it is refreshing to see big-time basketball being brought to Harvard with the modesty of Alison Feaster.