Weissman Donates $5M for Program

In Brief

A $5 million donation from a College graduate will fund an international internship program for undergraduates, the University announced yesterday.

Paul M. Weissman '52, an official in a New York investment banking company, made the gift to help students develop a first-hand knowledge of international issues, according to a statement released by Harvard.

"We feel that the more students get to know the people of other countries, the better off the world will be," Weissman said. "The more we can relate to one another, the less chance there will be for disagreements, strife and wars."

Three million dollars of the gift will go to funding the internship program. The remaining $2 million is designated to support academic priorities of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

According to the statement, students in the program will work in other countries and "learn, through this work experience, about other cultures and economic systems."

"Not only will the internships help them deal more effectively as professionals but also as agents for international peace and understanding on numerous political and social fronts," Weissman said.