`Woman of the Year' Ryan Gets Parade, 'Pot'

By Shine MAY Hung

Meg Ryan, 1994's Hasty Pudding "Woman of the Year," was paraded through Harvard Square and received the famed Pudding Pot at a roast yesterday.

As Ryan stepped out of an open limousine, Harvard fans who had paraded with her around Holyoke Center that afternoon burst into cheers.

In reference to her role in the romantic comedy "When Harry Met Sally," some screamed: "Sally, we love you!"

One student said he was starstruck as soon as the actress glanced his way.

"She looked at us as we yelled at her," said Jorge Roig '97. "I'm totally inspired."

Eric Castillo '97 said he was impressed by Ryan's down-to-earth attitude.

"She looked very astonished by the enthusiasm of the Harvard crowd," Castillo said. "She was also very responsive to [us] unlike other stars."

At the roast which took place in the Hasty Pudding Theatre, the obviously flattered Ryan tousled her hair in amused delight as Pudding members heckled her with a series of quips and sallies about her life and career.

"Someday, someone will tell me what I did to deserve this," Ryan laughed as the Pudding gave her a bouquet of red roses and their Pot.

Ryan also received a "Stoner to English Dictionary," as a tribute to her rolein the Oliver Stone film, "The Doors."

And in honor of her skillful simulation of areal-life act of love in "When Harry Met Sally,"Ryan accepted an "orgasmo-baton."

Waving the baton, Ryan brought down the houseby orchestrating a chorus of "Ooh," "Oh," and"Yes!" from the excited and eager audience.

A preview of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals'146th production, "A Forum Affair," followed theaward presentation.

Cast member Michael Stone '95 said the chanceto perform in front of Ryan left him breathless.

"[During the performance] I was on this weirdhigh," Stone said. "I couldn't breathe."

At a press conference following the show, Ryansaid: "I just flew in last night and [today] therewas a parade in my honor."

Ryan said the treatment she received wasunexpected and "outrageous."

"I'd like to come back [to Harvard] every yearlike this," Ryan said.

The Hasty Pudding "Woman of the Year" award wasestablished in 1967 to recognize "lasting andimpressive contribution to the world ofentertainment."

Previous recipients include Katherine Hepburn,Lucille Ball, Jodie Foster and Whoopi Goldberg