In Council Elections, Race Is for Second

Gabay Has Lock on Re-election

By Todd F. Braunstein

It's going to be a neck-and-neck race for vice-president next week in the Undergraduate Council spring semester elections.

But the real contest could actually come next fall, when all of next week's vice-presidential jockeying may pay off for one lucky candidate in the presidential elections.

While no one has yet put in a bid to run against seemingly invincible incumbent President Carey W. Gabay '94, the race for vice president will be tight.

Treasurer Rene Reyes '95, Secretary Cynthia D. Johnson '96, Campus Life Committee Co-Chair Joshua D. Liston '95, and Finance Committee Chair Jamila A. Braswell '95--three juniors and one sophomore--will be vying for the vice presidency.

But why all the fuss about being the council's second-in-charge and official attendance taker?

That's because competing for vice president means not losing to "good guy" Gabay. And it also represents a chance for the candidates to position themselves in the executive hierarchy before reaching for the brass ring next fall.

Rave Reviews

For a council that had weathered a seemingly endless string of scandals, Gabayseemed like a gamble when the council elected himlast fall.

Gabay, the former council treasurer, wasclosely associated with former Chair Michael P.Beys '94 and former Secretary Randall A. Fine '96,both of whom carried reputations stained bywrongdoing.

"Last year, Mike Beys, Randy Fine and CareyGabay ran in a tight pack and most people who likeone like them all," Mark D. McKay '94, who lost toGabay in last fall's presidential race, said in aninterview with the Crimson in October.

But in his four months as council president,Gabay seems to have put to rest almost all doubtsabout his ability to forge an effective andunified council.

Current vice president and former presidentialcandidate Melissa Garza '94, one of Gabay's mostoutspoken critics in the fall, has joined a numberof former skeptics on the council who now havenothing but praise for the president.

"I had reservations when the year began," shesays. "I was really concerned that past leadershipstyles would pervade the council."

But "Carey has made a more inclusive council,and that's the biggest reason he's earned myrespect," Garza says.

Longtime council member John Mann '92-'94 votedagainst Gabay in the fall because Mann "thoughthe'd be a continuation of Mike Beys, which Ididn't think would be good for the council."

Gabay, however, "turned out to be prettyautonomous, very motivational," and willing to "dothe legwork him-self if necessary," Mann says.

The four vice-presidential candidatessay they are foregoing a contest with Gabaybecause of his popularity and effectiveness aspresident.

Reyes says the "main reason" he will not seekthe presidency is the "respect" he has developedfor Gabay's leadership.

"This past semester has been one of the mostproductive" for the council, he says. "Careyobviously still has the motivation and interest,and I have no interest in interrupting that."

Braswell also says that she doesn't want tointerfere with capable leadership.

"Carey has done a good job, and when you're atthe end of one semester and you get the momentumgoing, it's hard to cut if off," Braswell says. "Iwould like to see him finish."

Among Gabay's accomplishments are holding thecouncil's meetings in upperclass houses for easieraccessibility, the debut of the council's firstofficial newsletter, The Courier, andallowing first-years to attend executive boardmeetings. According to council members, Gabay hasmanaged to bring together a previously factiouscouncil.

"It may sound silly," says Garza, "but the keything about the council's success is itswillingness to work together."

In addition to the admiration of Gabay,council observers say there may be another reasonfor not joining the presidential race.

"The main reason is that they realize Carey'sdoing a great job and no one wants to challenge anincumbent doing a great job," says David A.Aronberg '93, a Law School first-year who wascouncil chair in 1992.

Aronberg adds, however, that losing an electionto Gabay could be damaging to whatever politicalaspirations the candidates might harbor.

"You can only lose so many times," Aronbergsays. "You want to be able to minimize yourlosses. Otherwise people will get the impressionthat you're recycled candidate."

In addition to safeguarding politicalviability, vying for the vice presidency alsomeans vying for the position which hastraditionally served as the springboard to thepresidency.

"The vice presidency has always been seen as astepping stone," Gabay says.

Steven N. Kalkanis '93, a former council vicechair who is now a first-year student at theMedical School, also takes note of this commonroute to the presidency. "That's traditionallywhat it has been in the past," he says.

In fact, Aronberg and sucessor Malcolm A.Heinicke '93 served as vice chairs before becomingchair. And Beys and Gabay served on the executiveboard before winning the election to the council'stop post.

The ultimate goal of this year's candidates maywell be to fulfill the duties of the vicepresidency. But, according to some councilmembers, they are also jockeying for a shot at thepresidency.

"A lot of people running for the vicepresidency this year have their eyes on thepresidency," says one council member. "And for anyof them, there's zero incentive to challengeCarey."

Mann, who has witnessed more than half-a-dozencouncil elections, also suspects that thecandidates have higher ambitions.

"Each of the people running pretty much agreeswith the direction Carey's taken," Mann says. "Butthey all also probably feel he's not beatable, sothey don't want to expend political capital."

"They're all sophomores and juniors, so they'reall setting themselves up for next year," Mannadds.

Liston, as well as the other vice presidentialcandidates, says the merits of the office andtheir respect for Gabay ruled out any bids for thepresidency.

As the vice-presidential contender put it: "ifCarey wasn't running, you'd see a number ofpeople jockeying for position."CrimsonJennifer J. BaikCYNTHIA D. JOHNSON '96