HUPD Nab Man At Winthrop

Alleged Shoplifter Arrested Minutes After Crime in Square

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Harvard Police arrested an unidentified man in a Winthrop House entryway last night after he allegedly tried to shoplift clothing from Urban Outfitters in Harvard Square.

Police made the arrest at 8:21 p.m., about 15 minutes after the man, who was not a Harvard student, fled the store, according Harvard Police spokesperson John J. Miller.

Miller said the suspect, whose name was not released last night, first tried to take some socks and was tried to take some socks and was caught by an employee, then set off the shoplifting alarms when he exited.

"A foot pursuit ensued when the manager yelled [that] it was a shoplifter," Miller said. The chase wound around various Harvard buildings and ended in Gore Hall, the west building of Winthrop House.

The suspect eluded the Cambridge police officer following him by entering Winthrop House as a student passed through a door to G-entry. He then fled into F-entry to hide, according to Miller.

After a security guard, stationed at the superintendent's desk in G-entry, radioed the officers, they covered both staircases in F entry, Miller said. After knocking on doors, looking through hallways and checking student rooms, police apprehended the suspect on the fourth floor.

"The subject was located on the fourth floor, in one of the utility closets, trying to blend in," Miller said.

Harvard officers David Lee and Tom Hustus made the arrest.

Since the alleged shoplifting incident occurred off Harvard property, Cambridge Police detained the suspect. His arraignment on that charge is scheduled for today.

The Harvard Police will also charge him with breaking, entering and trespassing on Harvard property.

One Winthrop resident witnessed the aftermath of the chase.

"I didn't see the arrest itself, but I came home and there were a whole bunch of [police] cars--four cars at first and then one more later--gathered around outside," said William G. Ferullo '95.

The Winthrop courtyard was quiet after the arrest, Ferullo said. "There was all this police activity but no one around to see it," he said. "It didn't seem like there was really anyone around."