Hoffman Addresses Forum

By Martin L. Yeung

The European Union will not likely become a "superpower" capable of rivaling the United States in the near future, Dillon Professor of the Civilization of France Stanley Hoffmann told about 40 students at a EURoFORUM lecture in Lowell House Wednesday night.

Hoffmann, who is the director of the Center for European Studies, said the European Union has "a clear reluctance" to becoming a military superpower because the United States is able to provide defense through NATO.

"Is there the will for Europe to emerge as world leader?" Hoffmann asked. "I personally think Europe lacks the desire and the resources, in the near term, to become a superpower."

But thought the European Union will not become a world leader soon, it is still a formidable economic force, Hoffmann said.

"Europe has the capacity as a major commercial power to influence international affairs," Hoffmann said. "The U.S. can no longer impose its will on the European Union."

Hoffmann added that Europe's economic position is threatened by cheap labor from the Pacific Rim nations. Not even Germany's lauded industrial sector can long withstand the dumping of low-cost products like textiles and clothing, he said.

The Union's path to economic autonomy is also compromised by the fact that European firms regularly ally themselves with American manufacturers rather than other European companies, Hoffmann said.

Hoffmann also said he regrets that the European Union is not moving towards a more active role in foreign affairs, since the future of inter-European military integration and diplomatic cooperation is still questionable.

"Since diplomatic action is the heart of sovereignty, each nation has its own channels and contacts," Hoffmann said. "Joint foreign policy action is made very difficult by this non-coordination."