Council Changes Funding Bylaws

U.C. Can Now Keep Year-End Surplus; Yardfest Plans Also Approved in Vote

By Todd F. Braunstein

The Undergraduate Council last night approved a change in its bylaws that allows it to keep unspent funds which would otherwise go to house committees.

The council also unanimously agreed to allocate $14,600 for the first annual Yardfest, a campus-wide festival which will feature carnival events and musical performances in the Yard on April 30.

The 41-13 vote to change the bylaws gives the council control of rollover funds which have in the past totalled approximately $25,000 at year's end. It comes at a time when the council is preparing to consider a $10 increase in the council's student term bill fee next week.

Given that the council will now retain a likely excess of funds this year, re-evaluation committee member Melissa Garza '94 said she is leaning toward opposing the $10 term bill increase. Garza sponsored the amendment to the by-laws passed last night.

"We are working [now] to spend all our money," Garza said. "I'm not sure we should be asking for additional money [from students] when we still have untapped resources."

Although these funds totaled more than $20,000 as recently as last year, Treasurer Jamila A. Braswell '95 said the actual amount of money saved this year will likely be much smaller.

Braswell cited the council's improved planning and budget-consciousness as reasons for the decline in annual roll over.

The focus of the council's debate was not on what the council would do with the extra money, but whether the money might be better spent by the house committees than the council as a whole.

"The houses know their own needs best," said Sameer Ferrell '95, speaking against RTLÄchange in the by-laws.

Christopher J. Garofalo '94, noting that six ofthe houses, as of last night, still had failed topick up their share of $11,000 allocated to thehouses in the fall, suggested that the councilallow the houses themselves to decide if they needthe money.

"If they don't pick it up and spend it, itmeans we'll still have it," Garofalo said.

But Secretary Brandon C. Gregoire '95, afterreading the preamble of the council's constitutionto the assembly, argued that it wasn't thecouncil's job to fund potentially unnecessaryhouse committee projects.

"[If we] just throw money to the housecommittees which many of them don't need, they'llspend it on frivolous, extravagant things,"Gregoire said.

John Mann '92-'94, co-chair of the campus lifecommittee, added that the council could always usethe extra money the following year. "This moneycan be better used to sponsor campus-wide events,like They Might Be Giants, at $5 per ticket ratherthan $12," Mann said.

Garza said spending all available money is avital step in making the council a more powerfulforce on campus.

Garza also said giving money to housecommittees is not the proper use for extra councilfunds.

"If you're getting $20 to give back $5 [to thehouse committees], cut the term bill to $15,"Garza said in her closing remarks.

Yardfest

The Yardfest resolution was the first of sevenon the docket, all of which were overwhelminglyapproved by the council.

Mann, who co-sponsored the resolution withCampus Life Committee Co-chair Mark P. Connolly'96, said the event will feature carnival events,refreshments and various musical performances.

Mann listed approximately a dozen carnivalstations, including sumo wrestling and a velcrojump, that are likely to appear at Yardfest.

Many of the details of Yardfest have alreadybeen approved by Dean of Students Archie C. EppsIII, Mann said.

Epps' office is discussing with Dean ofFreshmen Elizabeth S. Nathans the possibility ofproviding beer at the event, Mann said.

The resolution passed 48-0, and there were noabstentions from or speakers against theresolution.

In other business, the council unanimouslyapproved a resolution to provide shuttle buses toLogan Airport on March 24, 25 and 26.

The council also unanimously allocated $280 fortwo microphones for its sound system, which isoften used by student bands; $50 for signspublicizing schedule changes in the shuttleservice from Harvard Square to the Quad; and $100to publicize an Institute of Politics forum oncalendar reform that will feature two councilrepresentatives.

Finally, after much heated debate, the councilvoted 28-12, with two abstentions, to purchase anew computer for $3,537.

Rene Reyes '95, the council's former treasurer,argued that the new computer was unnecessary.

"In the grants process, we make it clear thatmoney should be spent on needs rather than onwants. This is a luxury item for us," Reyes said."Granted, it will take a few extra minutes forthings to get done, but they'll get done."

But Dairo Moreno '95, who sponsored theresolution, said the new equipment was indeednecessary.

"This isn't sophisticated, but modern, and it'snot a luxury, it's something everyone uses,"Moreno said. "These are things we need.

Yardfest