Others Act While RUS Waits

Women's Group Distributes Grants; Makes No Mention of Male Suffrage

By Jonathan A. Lewin

The Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) distributed grants to six undergraduate organizations at a meeting last night, but did not discuss last week's hot topic: extending membership to men.

Grants that students proposed last night ran the gamut, from covering printing cost for the Harvard Math Bulletin to funding a plane ticket for a Harvard World Model United Nations participant.

The grant-making power of RUS has been in the news recently as some have cited it as a reason to end the organization's all-female membership policy.

But no mention of the last week's debate on male membership was made last night. After the meeting, Anne B. Guiney '95, co-president of RUS, said active members will vote on the issue at the first meeting after spring break.

One issue to consider is whether the $5 feecharged to women non their term bills would beextended to men should males be made eligible formembership, Guiney said.

But Guiney downplayed the significance of malesuffrage in the wider RUS picture. "This issue mayredefine RUS, but I don't want it to overshadowour activities this semester," she said.

Last night's grants totaled less than $1000,according to RUS Treasurer Anna L. Gibb '96. Thegroup gives out about $7000 in grants a year,Guiney said.

Spokespeople from seven groups presented ninegrant proposals at the meeting, one of sixmeetings for the purpose this year. One student,Jennifer Ching '96, filed three proposals. Sherequested money for Harvard World Model U.N., theNational Garment Workers Justice Campaign and theAsian American Association.

While some students stressed the relationshipbetween their projects and women's issues, othersacknowledged a more tenuous connection, as withthe Model U.N. request.

"This doesn't seem like it has anything to dowith women's issues," Ching said as she presenteda $475 request for a ticket for her to fly toLuxembourg. "But it does."

After representatives of the Harvard MathBulletin finished speaking, RUS Co-President MeganE. Lewis '95 asked the what the content of theirfirst issue would be. They said they would includean interview with a female mathematician and anarticle on women in science.

And two of the 10 first-years trying to start aSpanish-language journal at Harvard said they willinterview a female Nobel Prize winner.

Lighthouse, the Radcliffe Choral Society, theSouth Asian-Association, Harvard-RadcliffeRevival, and the Association of Radcliffe Asiansreceived money, Gibbe said. Ching's Model U.N.plane ticket was the only proposal denied lastnight, she said.

Gibbe said RUS would "get back to" Safety Walk,which wanted funds to sponsor a dance, and theSociety for Arab Students, which did not send arepresentative to last night's meeting