Clarifying Work-Study Cutbacks

TO THE EDITORS

I am writing in response to the story in The Crimson (March 14, 1994) about the need to curb spending under the Work-Study Program. While the story was fairly accurate, I felt the tone might be misleading and would like to clarify the policy.

Due to an unusually high number of students working on the Federal Work-Study Program this year, we were faced with the need to deny approval of new undergraduate work-study jobs for the rest of the term. Students already working and those who had completed the necessary paperwork before the policy went into effect are not affected.

To ensure an adequate number of available non-work-study jobs, we called all employers with listings on out work-study boards asking them to re-post their jobs on a non-work-study basis. Most of them did. We also called employers on behalf of specific students to explain the situation and urge them to hire the student without the work-study reimbursement. Again, many were able to comply, as confirmed by your story.

There continued to be many available jobs on our boards and on the electronic bulletin board. No one is being told he or she cannot work; we are simply denying reimbursement for new jobs from the federal fund which is running low. We expect no change in the summer work-study program.

We understand the difficulties this situation may present for some students, and we are here, as always, to help. Martha H. Homer   Director of Student Employment