FOR THE MOMENT

A Security Guard's Calling

By Richard Chiang

It's 3 o' clock in the morning at the Science Center, and the computer rooms are teeming with procrastinating computer science concentrators and e-mail addicts. But above the concert of clattering of keys, play Mozart strains--from a radio placed on the security desk.

To the veterans of the science Center night scene, it can only mean that the T'ai Chi Guy was at it again.

The T'ai Chi Guy, as he is affectionately dubbed by nocturnal HUSC users, is "H". Gim, a night guard who mans the graveyard shift once week. When he's not asking you to sign in your name and ID number, he can be found gliding effortlessly across the floor, exhibiting his expertise in the graceful art of T'ai Chi.

And you won't find Gim sweating to the oldies either. No, Gim has more refined taste in music to practice by. Expect Beethoven's fifth or Pachelbel's Canon.

The T'ai Chi Guy, as Gim is affectionately dubbed by computer science majors, joined the Harvard security department two years ago. A Korean immigrant to the United States in 1968, Gim has since been doing "odd jobs". Aside from that, Gim was wary about divulging his personal history. "I'm a very private person," he said. "Besides, I'm not very interesting."

Not at all, says the scores of Science Center inhabitants, who cast inquisitive glances at his early morning maneuvers.

"Most people who come up to me show some interest, but it's nothing beyond a passing curiosity," Gim said.

Gim first learned about the martial art from a close friend at MIT twelve years ago. Fascinated by its power and grace, he joined the Gin Soon T'ai Chi Club in Boston, where he practices his technique under the instruction of Master Gin-Soon Chu. Master Chu was a student of the famous Grandmaster Yang Shou-chung, the world leader of the Yang School of T'ai Chi.

Today, the Yang family style, known as T'ai Chi Chuan, is the most widely practiced Tai Chi form in the world.

Gim applauds T'ai Chi for its salubrious effects, but emphasizes it as a form of self-defense. "T'ai Chi is often perceived as a health exercise; actually, it was created as a martial art."

As for the classical music, Gim says he likes it, but could perform his routines just as well without Bach in the background. Nonetheless, Gim often receives accolades from students for his musical selections. His repertoire includes such titles as "Puccini's Greatest Hits," Brahms Violin and Double Concerti, Tschaikovsky Piano and Violin Concerto and "Top Ten Sopranos."

After his stint as a security guard, he intends to return to Korea to teach T'ai Chi there. According to Gim, Korea is lacking in qualified T'ai Chi instructors. "It's my calling," he avows.