Public Affairs Office Admits Mishandling

By Elizabeth T. Bangs

Acting Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Jane H. Corlette acknowledged Monday that the University may have mishandled the announcement of Provost Jerry R. Green's departure.

The mishandling, she said, has resulted in concerns about why Green stepped down as well the apparent disarray in the central administration.

Still, Corlette and other Harvard officials have refused to give a reason for Green's departure.

"I think that it was obviously a matter of speculation," Corlette said. "But I think part of it was our own damn fault for the way we tried to get the information out as fast as possible."

Several members of the Board of Overseers contacted in the days immediately after the announcement were not aware of Green's departure, even though they had met at Harvard the weekend before.

And Benjamin M. Friedman, chair of the economics department, first learned of the move when he was contacted by a Crimson reporter. Green left his post to return to teaching in the economics department.

Corlette said the overseers were notified at the same time as The Crimson.

"Frankly, [we] forgot that overseers don't always look at their faxes as soon as they should," Corlette said. "It made it look like such a surprise."

On Tuesday, Boston Globe economics columnist David L. Warsh '66 called Green's departure an "embarrassment" and predicted that the University "is not going to have an easy time of" raising $2 billion in the upcoming capital campaign, which kicks off next month.

In addition to the departure of Green, Warsh cited the still-unfilled positions of vice president for finance andvice president for government, community andpublic affairs as potential problems.

In Monday's interview, Corlette reiterated thatthe University hopes to have a replacement forGreen by the end of the academic year.

"I would imagine a new provost will be named bythe time Jerry leaves," Corlette said. "It'scomplicated. So therefore, we'll just hope it getsdone by July 1."

Sources have said that Dean of the KennedySchool Albert Carnesale is a leading contender forthe post. Corlette said President Neil L.Rudenstine was still looking for someone to fillthe post.

She said the new provost will probably be fromwithin the University, and that could make thesearch easier.

"I cannot imagine that it will be somebodywho's not from the University or at least someonewho has spent a lot of time here at some point andwent away for awhile," Corlette said. "Sotherefore, it's sort of a known pool."

She also said she expects a permanent vicepresident for government, community and publicaffairs to be named within a month