A Busy Period

Wordsof Wissman

By Sean D. Wissman

Don't worry. I know what you're going through.

Two weeks of reading period. A week and a half of finals. The last thing you want to do is read a coherent sports column with a lot of cute cultural references, but still significant repercussions for the way we look at the world.

So, I won't give you one.

Rather, over the past few weeks, while most of us have been burrowed away in our rooms guzzling bad coffee from the dining hall or OK! Soda, a number of our peers have been in action in sporting events across the country.

So here is a recap of some of their activities.

There members of Harvard's men's track team finished in the top 10 at the ICAAAA meet at George Mason this past weekend.

Sophomore Darin Shearer, a Crimson editor, finished third in the steeplechase. Freshman Steve Brannon finished fifth in the pole vault. And junior Ian Carswell finished eighth in the 5,000-meter run.

The meet was the last of the season for all of Harvard's team with the possible exception of Shearer, who is waiting to see if his time of 8:42 is good enough to quality him for the NCAA championships.

The women's team opted out of their ICAAAA meet because of injuries.

Harvard's women's sailing team has been hitting the water for the past few weeks in preparation for the NCAA meet this weekend at Yale.

The team qualified for the meet in April by finishing in the top five at the New England Women's Championships, also held at Yale.

It has since taken Harvard's own Marchiando Trophy in a regatta on May 1.

Harvard's men's heavyweight crew team has also been busy practicing away on the water.

The team is preparing for its traditional June 4 race against Yale in New London, Conn.

The men will then participate in the NCAA championships on June 11.

They qualified for the championships by finishing third behind Brown and Dartmouth at Easterns May 13-14.

The Harvard men's tennis team's captain Marshall Burroughs and freshman Mitty Arnold are currently participating in the NCAA championships at Notre Dame in South Bend, lnd.

Burroughs is participating in the singles competition and is teaming up with Arnold to compete in the tournament's doubles competition.

The rest of the team finished its season on May 14 with a surprising 5-2 loss to Princeton at the Eastern Regional Tourney held here at Beren Tennis Center. Princeton went on to win the tournament and is participating in South Bend as the Eastern Regional representative.

And last but not least, Harvard's women's lacrosse team has been licking its wounds after a tough 9-4 loss to Loyola of Maryland in the first round of eight-team NCAA tournament on May 14.

The team had lost earlier in the season to Loyola, 10-11.

The team finished the season with a nifty 11-4 overall record, including a 5-1 record in league play.

In the words of Roy Clark on the hit TV show "Hee Haw," "Saaluuute!"