New Year, New Cores, New Profs

13 Novel Approaches to Learning

By Todd F. Braunstein

There are now 13 new approaches to knowledge.

The core curriculum, designed to provide students with a liberal arts background, will include that number of new courses next year, according to a late draft of the 1994-95 courses of instruction manual.

Meanwhile, Harvard's seven newly-hired senior faculty members will teach two new courses among them--both cores.

Including the new cores, the seven faculty will assume teaching responsibilities in a total of five classes next year. Several of the professors, including Professor of Afro-American Studies Cornel West '74, will be on leave for all or part of the academic year.

Historical Study A, which aims to help students understand the background and development of major issues of the contemporary world, will feature three new classes.

"Making and Remaking of the Modern Middle East," HS A-68, will investigate the cultural histories of the Arab countries, Iran, Israel and Turkey. The class will examine the creation and transformation of modern states and their political systems since World War I.

Meyer Professor of History E. Roger Owen will teach the course.

HS A-78, "Nationalism and Socialism: Eastern Europe (1772-1991)" will survey the development of the ideologies in what is today Poland, the Ukraine and Lithuania. The course, led by Hrushevs'kyi Professor of Ukranian History Roman Szporluk, will also look at Germany's role in the region during that time.

Warren Professor of American History Ernest R. May will teach a class on "The Cold War." The course will treat the conflict's causes and development, as well as the subsequent detente.

Literature and Arts A focuses on literary analysis and individual texts themselves, according to the course guide. The core division will feature two new classes this year.

"The Story of Arthur," to be led by Gurney Professor of English Literature Derek A. Pearsall, will aim to introduce students to a variety of Arthurian literature. The readings will include works from the Middle Ages to today.

Literature and Arts A-48, "The Modern Jewish Experience in Literature," will be taught by Professor of Yiddish Literature and of Comparative Literature Ruth R. Wisse. Students enrolling in the class will read works in different languages and genres that examine the experience of Jews in this century.

Literature and Arts B, which exphasizes nonverbal forms of expression, will feature the largest number of new classes, at four.

"Art and Visual Culture: Introduction to the Historical Study of Art and Architecture" will be the closest Harvard comes to an introductory arts history class.

The course, to be led by Professor of Fine Arts Henri Zerner, will be a general introduction to the concepts by which technical arts can be ana- lyzed and understood. The course will includespecific examples from history.

"Images of Alexander the Great," Literature andArts B-21, will explore artwork of the greatconqueror from different cultures. Loeb Professorof Classical Art and Archaeology David G. Mittenwill be the class' instructor.

"Majesty and Mythology in African Art," led byProfessor of Fine Arts Suzanne P. Blier, willexamine royal arts from the continent.

And "First Nights: 5 Performance Premieres"will examine the debut presentations of fivefamous pieces of music, including Handel's"Messiah" and Beethoven's "Symphony No. 9."

The class will be taught by Professor of MusicThomas F. Kelly, a newly tenured Harvardprofessor.

Literature and Arts C examines cultural historyand the place of art in societies.

"Rebirth and Karma in Indian Literature andRitual," led by Wales Professor of SanskritMichael Witzel, will explore the places of the twoHindi rites in India's society and books.

The other new class taught by a new professorwill be "Cultural China in ContemporaryPerspectives" with Professor of Chinese LiteratureLeo O. Lee.

Finally, Social Analysis 50, "UrbanRevolutions: Archaeology and Investigation ofEarly States" will examine city digs from days ofold.

The course will be led by Phillips Professor ofArchaeology and Ethnology C.C. Lamberg-Karlovsky.

New Blood

Aside from the two new core classes, newcomersto Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences willassume the leadership of three previously-taughtclasses in the 1994-95 school year, all at thegraduate level.

Lee will teach Chinese Literature 224, "Topicsin Modern Chinese Literature," this spring.

Kelly will lead Music 221r, "Chant: A Seminar,"in the spring.

And Hooper Professor of Geology Paul F. Hoffmanwill teach Earth and Planetary Sciences 280,"Topics in Sedimentary and Historical Geology andPaleontology: Seminar.

But there will undoubtedly be more to come fromthe new professors.

Lee will teach an undergraduate course on20th-century Chinese literature in the 1995-96academic year. And Kelly will teach twograduate-level music classes that year--a seminaron medieval polyphony and a course on medievalnotation.

West, newly wooed from Princeton University,will be on leave for the entire academic year.Kelly, Lee and Bowditch Professor of CentralAmerican and Mexican Archaeology and EtymologyWilliam L. Fash will be on leave this fall.

Other new senior faculty are Eckstein Professorof Applied Economics John Y. Campbell and GordonProfessor of Materials Engineering Anthony G.Evans

New Blood