Debating The Distinct

* Harvard's new hallmark is a meaningless distinction.

By David B. Lat

"Distinction and diversity are the twin hallmarks of the Harvard and Radcliffe experience," according to the snazzy new viewbook sent out to prospective first-years. While highlighting "diversity" has become commonplace in admissions brochures, this year the Harvard admissions office has taken the bold step of adding "distinction" to the equation.

Admissions officers claim that they wanted to make their message to prospective Harvard students more complete. In addition, the entire notion of Harvard as Diversity U. had gotten just a wee bit tired. "It had gotten to be an unbelievable cliche," says Director of Admissions Marlyn McGrath Lewis '70. "We are sick to death of that phrase."

The aforementioned reasons admissions officers provide for making the change seem relatively straightforward. Student leaders and campus intellectuals offer more interesting interpretations of the revision.

"Diversity is always a term that specifically refers to racial and ethnic identity," says Kristen M. Clarke '97, president of the Black Students Association. "But the distinction includes differences including religion and sexual orientation. It seems Harvard is starting to embrace the many ways that we are all different."

According to Clarke, distinction is, well, just more diversity. But there's one small problem with her analysis: diversity and distinction are actually different words, with (surprise, surprise) different meanings. Clarke's idea of diversity as only encompassing racial and ethnic differences, while common-place, is too narrow a conception. To put things nicely, her view doesn't make a lot of sense.

Brian E. Malone '96, a member of the Peninsula Council, puts it more bluntly: "That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard." He offers an alternative view that reflects the emphasis on tradition that typifies conservative groups like Peninsula. "I'd interpret addition of the word 'distinction' to mean that Harvard is restoring emphasis to its academic tradition," he says. "In that way it's an improvement over diversity alone."

Malone is right. It's definitely a positive step to stress other aspects of Harvard in addition to diversity. For all of its lofty connotations, diversity is simply the existence of differences. These differences, while often beneficial, don't in and of themselves make Harvard unique among institutions of higher learning. Diversity must be combined with distinction in order to form a more accurate and compelling picture of Harvard.

Derek T. Ho '96, a senior editor of Perspective, is a little more about the adding of "distinction" to "diversity." It won't have any major impact on how Harvard is perceived, he says, since "everyone has always taken it for granted that Harvard cherishes academic excellence."

"I think it's a sign that some administrator needs more work to do," Ho says of the change.

He makes a good point. In the end, adding "distinction" to "diversity" looks fairly meaningless. So don't worry: it doesn't represent any substantive change in the content of our impecable education. It's simply a matter of semantics. The revision wasn't prompted by any radical transformation taking place on this campus but by something as fickle as the personal taste of admissions officers having a gaggle of adolescent .

It's comforting to know that Harvard has such a rich tradition of excellence and distinction. And if admissions officers want to bring these traditions to light, more power to them. The word change is fine with me, so long as they don't charge another $30,000 for that extra hallmark.

David B. Lat's appears on alternate Tuesdays.