Police Issue New Bike Rules

Safety Regulations Aimed at Protecting Bikers on Campus

By Chana R. Schoenberger

Hoping to protect bike riders who brave the crowded Cambridge streets and sidewalks, the Harvard Police released a new set of bike safety regulations this week.

Flyers announcing the new rules, which were posted around campus, reminded bikers to "ride your bicycle in a safe, predictable, and responsible manner," and to "give right of way to pedestrians."

Nate S. Becker '98, who bikes to class from his room in Pforzheimer house "a couple of times a day," said the new rules will not have a large effect on his biking routine.

"I obey most of them as it is," Becker said. He said that he wears a helmet and has reflectors on his pedals, but no bell.

Becker questions a need for the new rules. "I don't think it's the bikers who have the problem," he said. "Everybody else who has to deal with them has the problem."

According to the flyers, bikers are legally required to "ride with traffic, not against it" and to use bike lights after dark.

Police suggested bikers wear a helmet and reflective clothing, use a bell and install bike lights and reflectors.

The flyer also admonished bikers to "ride defensively."

Amber J. Roy '97, a Mather House resident, already uses a light, reflectors and a lock on her bike.

"I think [the rules are] a good idea," she said, playing with the safety straps on her bike helmet. "It's good to encourage people to wear helmets."

Roy said she has a personal understanding of the necessity of bike safety.

"A few weeks ago I was in a pretty serious bike accident," she said. "I was thrown over the handlebars. I blacked out. I had a concussion, but nothing more serious.

"My helmet cracked, and that would have otherwise been my skull," she said. "Helmets are key to bike safety."

Despite the new regulations, bikers' behavior may not change unless the rules are enforced.

"Cambridge is a great place to bike because you can do anything you want," Becker said.