Students Flock to Law Forum

Officials From 113 Schools Answer Applicants' Questions

By Justin D. Lerer

Potential applicants got a chance to cross-examine officials from 113 law schools this weekend at the Boston Law School Forum held at the Marriott at Copley Place.

"It's really an opportunity for a student to come to one place and get as much information as he or she may need," said Sharon L. Kemble, director of member support services at the Law School Admission Council, which sponsored the event.

About 2,400 students attended the forum last year, organizers said. Although Kemble could not estimate the final tally of attendees for this year's event, she said that they hoped to match last year's figure.

"The forums are really a good opportunity for people to get a lot of information about a lot of law schools efficiently," said Associate Director of Admissions at Harvard Law School G. Todd Morton.

Law school representatives said that they viewed the forum as an opportunity to reach out to students.

"We come because we don't grant personal interviews, and we want to be able to answer questions for prospective students, so that they may make an informed decision," said Associate Director of Yale Law School Lauretta M. Tremblay.

Officials from several law schools praised the forum's ability to attract older potential applicants.

"The forums are particularly good at bringing in people who have graduated," said George R. Braxton II, Georgetown University Law Center's associate dean of admissions.

Morton noted that 55 percent of Harvard Law School's applicants come from this demographic group.

Law school officials stressed the fact that prospective applicants are not being judged at forums.

"We're not here making that judgment today. We're providing information," Tremblay said.

Students seemed to appreciate the chance to investigate the schools.

"It's a good way to collect materials from a variety of schools. It's also a good way to get a sense of the personality of the individual schools," Rebecca D. Onie '97 said.

In addition to providing the opportunity to meet law school representatives, the forum featured workshops in application and financing, informational video presentations and a panel discussion aimed at minority candidates.

"It's a good forum," said Michael N. Dakin, a first-year student at Boston College Law School who is thinking of transferring to another school. "Especially if you're not sure what you want to do or where you want to go."