Football Star Talks on Religion

New England Patriots Safety Corwin Brown Speaks at Union

By R. ALAN Leo

New England Patriots safety Corwin A. Brown spoke at a meeting of Harvard Radcliffe Christian Impact last night about the importance of religion in his life.

Brown was joined by Walter Day, the team chaplain for the Patriots and the Boston Red Sox. Both men said religion should play a major role in athletes' lives.

The meeting in the Freshman Union was sponsored by Athletes In Action, a national organization which brings Christian athletes into the community.

Brown said his material success as an athlete showed him the need for religion.

"It seemed that the seams of my life were unraveling," Brown said.

Brown said he turned to rookie teammates Jay Barker and Curtis Wilkin, both of whom offered Brown guidance in his pursuit of Christianity.

Day said religion plays an important part in the lives of many pro athletes.

"Every NFL and Major League team has a chapel service the Sunday before a game," Day said.

Day suggested that religion is important to many athletes because of the case with which they achieve fame and fortune.

"A lot of these guys find material success at a young age, but find they want more than that," Day said.

Brown said that along with speaking to the community, he enjoys bringing his message to fellow pro athletes. "Sometimes when I'm on the field," Brown said, "I tell guys 'God loves you.'"

About 15 Harvard students attended last night's talk.