Two Tough Tests for W. Cagers

Harvard Faces Boston College, 8-0 Arizona During Vacation

By Chris W. Mcevoy

While most Harvard students are drinking egg nog and reveling in their temporary respite from the stressful academic year, the women's basketball team will face two tough foes during the holiday season.

Harvard (5-4, 0-0 Ivy) heads off to Boston College to face the Eagles tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. in Chestnut Hill. Following an impressive 86-61 rout of the Northeastern Huskies last Saturday, the Crimson hopes for a repeat performance tomorrow.

"We're excited to play BC," co-captain Elizabeth Proudfit said. "We beat them last year pretty easily, [but] I'm sure they'll be gunnin' for us."

Well, they'd better bring a bazooka if the Eagles have any hope of stopping the Crimson basketball machine.

Some of the main weapons in Harvard's artillery who had big games against the Huskies were Alison Feaster (21 points)--the Ivy League Player of the Week for the second time in the past 21 days--and co-captains Proudfit and Elizabeth Gettelman. Along with the high expectations from key personnel, the Crimson hopes to clip the Eagles' wings with a smothering defense and fast-paced offense.

"We're just going to have to stick to our strategy of just trying to pressure the ball and press and cause some turnovers," Proudfit said.

The Eagles are young, but they did have one of the top recruiting classes in the East last year, so they should give the Crimson a tough challenge.

Wildcats

Any critics who say that the Crimson has not played enough quality opponents this year should can it.

Harvard will face one of the top basketball teams in the country--the University of Arizona--next Thursday at Lavietes Pavilion. This is the first-ever meeting between the Crimson and the Wildcats, who are a perfect 8-0.

"I think it's a chance for us to show that we're capable of finishing off the game," senior guard Army Reinhard said. "Arizona's a good team--I mean, they're 8-0. I think it's definitely a good chance for us to get a good win under our belt before we start the Ivy [season]."

Perhaps the desert women will be so frozen when they arrive up here that the Crimson can notch another win.

In any event, a strong Harvard performance will impress the NCAA Tournament selection committee come March.