Republican Club Divides

Moderates Split Off After Conservatives Sweep Elections

By David L. Greene

Moments after a conservative sweep in last night's Harvard Republican Club elections, the group's moderate wing split off to form a new organization, the Harvard Radcliffe Republican Alliance.

"The Harvard Republican Club is a decaying infrastructure with weak support," said Luke A. Sarsfield '95 , who last night initiated the formation of the new club. "We need to go somewhere and build a new house."

Members of the newly established Republican Alliance came to the meeting prepared to leave the Republican Club.

Although they did not declare their intention to split until after losing the elections they had already put together press packets describing their new group.

However, the various candidates, Amanda P. Williams '96, Corwyn D. Hopke '96, William D. Zerhouni '98 and Heather A. Clayton '98, made it clear from the outset that they were a united ticket.

In a pamphlet distributed prior to the elections, labeled "The Big Tent Ticket," the candidates laid out their platform and included their nominees for each office.

But this platform was unable to dethrone the more conservative candidates. For the office of president James M. Dickerson '98 defeated Williams.

Dickerson expressed his intention to improve the image of the club and prevent internal strife.

"I will support the club no matter what decisions are made," said Dickerson "Members with opposing views shouldn't damage the integrity of the club."

Williams in her pre-election speech noted the lack of diversity within the club.

"There's not a single African-American in here and only a smattering of women," Williams said.

Williams, if elected, promised to give the club a stronger voice on campus and also to restore "Radcliffe" to the official title of the organization. The nomenclature was removed by the club's outgoing administration.

Williams said she is opposed to the club's current constitution which stipulates that the club will support the platform of the Republican National Committee.

"We should use the national policy as a stepping stone but members should decide the view of the club focusing on action," Williams said.

The other new club officers elected last night were Brian E. Malone '96, vice president; Carlos A. Zumpano '96,secretary; Dan Lickel '96, treasurer.

All of the defeated candidates for officejoined the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Allianceat the end of the evening.

Despite their apparent preparations forseparation, the "Big Tent" candidates said theydid not arrive at the Lamont Forum last nightintending to lose.

"Our speeches were geared toward expressing ourgrievances with some of the members of theRepublican Club," Zerhouni said. "Our intentionis to stand on principle.

Sarsfield said none of the members of the newRepublican Alliance would deny that they plannedthe split beforehand. However, he said, the splitwas a "fall-back option."

Sarsfield said that the election of the newofficers, many of whom are board members of theright-wing Peninsual magazine, left those sharinghis more moderate ideology with no other choicebut to leave the group.

Last year a similar split occurred after theelection of outgoing President Bradford P.Campbell '95 prompted several members of the clubto protest his extreme conservatism and resign.

But the students who left did not form analternative club, and last night one said he hadsevered all ties to formal campus Republicangroups.

Current club members said last night that theywere skeptical about the future of the new group.

"How can there be two Republican clubs at thesame school?" Lickel asked. "Any party that isn'tunified is dead."

Election coordinator and outgoing VicePresident Daniel E. Zumpano '95, who is thebrother of incoming Secretary Carlos Zumpano,predicted that the Alliance will "Cease to existwithin a few months."

Members of the new Alliance complained that, asmoderates, they often did not feel welcome atRepublican Club meetings and were sometimes notinformed of club events.

"in its quest its own petty, intolerant agenda,the Harvard Republican Club leadership hasexcluded Harvard Republican Club members fromtheir rightful place in the club and has alienatedthe vast majority of the student body at Harvardand Radcliffe," the literature of the newRepublican Alliance read.

Campbell called this claim "patently false."

"There are always people who don't do theirjob," Campbell said. "Sometimes you leave messagesand roommates don't give them [to members]. Wehave made no effort to ostracize members of thisclub."

Campbell suggested that the "Big Tent"candidates were acting out of "personal dislike."He noted that Sarsfield and Williams lost theirbids for election to the executive board of theclub last year.

"I don't know how a club can be any moreinclusive than to endorse the national platform,"Campbell said. "I think these people may be tryingto increase their resumes by being officers intheir own little club."

But the founders of the new Republican Allianceinsist that their support for abortion rights andaffirmative action, in opposition to nationalRepublican planks, resulted in their exclusionfrom the club's hierarchy.

They said the stance of their new club is notbased on those issues, however, but on a desirefor acceptance of diverse views.

"Our stance is not for affirmative action orfor abortion," Zerhouni said. "We believe inconservatism that accepts people of all views, avision of tolerance and human decency."CrimsonRebecca L. BennettStudents cast their ballots last night atthe Harvard Republican Club elections.