Breyer Visits Cambridge Chamber of Commerce

Supreme Court Justice Discusses Experience on the Bench, Says He's Stayed Away From City Politics

By Jeffrey N. Gell

U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Stephen G. Breyer reaffirmed his commitment to Cambridge yesterday despite his move last year to Washington D.C.

"We will, by hook or by crook, by frequent flyer miles or some other way, maintain our Cambridge connection," Breyer said, addressing a crowd of more than 200 at a breakfast sponsored by the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce.

Breyer, who still owns a home in Cambridge, discussed the transition from from heading the First Circuit Court of Appeals to sitting on the highest court of the land.

"Among other things, it is an intimidating job," Breyer said. "It's absolutely fascinating to me to hear excellent arguments on very important issues of the day."

Breyer, a Harvard Law School alumnus and a former member of the Harvard Law School faculty, said his new post as the most junior member of the Supreme Court has far more visibility than his previous judgeships.

"My new job is more visible," he said. "There is more and more about which I can say less and less."

The justice also said he has developed a "judicial attitude" which allows him to consider equally all cases that come before him.

"You become rather uncertain about what is globally important," he said. "Every case calls for putting forth your best effort."

Wearing a plain gray suit and accompanied by his wife Joanna, Breyer mingled with the crowd before and after the event, shaking hands and answering questions.

The justice says his time on the court has caused him to reflect on legal experts he holds in high regard. Breyer said he includes among his list of heroes former Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. Goldberg and Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox '34.

Breyer said he admires Goldberg because "he was filled with enthusiasm and excitement" and Cox because "he simply went down there to do his job and to me was a symbol of integrity."

Breyer also said he understands the importance of a rigorous confirmation process.

"I am being appointed by the President to the office that has the power to affect people's lives and affect those lives significantly," he said. "In this country power belongs to the people, and this is an opportunity for that power to be executed."

Despite his close connection with and admiration for Cambridge, Breyer said he has chosen to distance himself from local political issues.

"I would never dare enter into the realm of Cambridge politics," Breyer said. "I've stayed far, far away from anything to do with politics in this city. This is the most....complicated city in the United States."

Introducing his former student and colleague, Carter Professor of General Jurisprudence Charles Fried called Breyer "not just another smart Harvard Law School professor."

"He is plenty smart," Fried said. "I know because I graded his criminal law exam."

And Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 said Breyer epitomizes the type of person that makes Cambridge a great city, namely, an individual who spends only a part of his life in Cambridge but remains connected to the city forever.