Men's Track Captures GBC's, W. Thinclads Finish Third

By Matt Howitt

How does it feel to be half as good as we are?

That's the question the Harvard men's track team is asking its opponents this weekend. The men blew away the field at the Greater Boston Championships, doubling the score of its nearest competitor.

Held at the track "mecca" of the Boston area--Harvard's own Gordon Track and Tennis Center--both the men and women's squads faced squads from Northeastern, Boston college, Bentley and Brandies. The women also faced teams from Boston University and Tufts.

Led by freshman Jamey Bianchi, who won the 5000 meter and anchored a come-from-behind victory for the distance medley relay, the Crimson finished with 128 points. Northeastern and B.C. lagged behind with 64 and 57 points, respectively.

Junior Shayne Mauricette continued his domination of the 55 and 200 meter races, with first place finishes in both. Mauricette, who took first place in the 55 meter last year, is aiming for a back-to-back crowns at the Heptagonal Championships (HEPS) this year.

"Shayne won the 55 meter at HEPS last year," team manager Ben Lowentritt said. "And, he hasn't fallen off at all this year."

Junior Darin Shearer, who is a Crimson editor, won the 3000 meter handily. Shearer, who clearly had the race wrapped up from the beginning, completely resisted the temptation to tank it. Instead, he pushed himself--hard.

"It was him against himself the whole race," Lowentritt said. "Some people might sit back and relax. He's a real competitor. I don't even think he was happy with his time.

Shearer is gearing up to run both the 1000 meter and the 3000 meter at HEPS, an unprecedented double.

"It's rare thing to do at HEPS," Lownetritt said. "But he is a maniac out there."

The mania continues for junior Ben Bowen, who again won in the 500 meter race. Bowen has taken first in the three meets in which he has run the 500.

Senior Joe Ghartey and freshman Josh Nicholsen were also impressive in the pentathalon, taking first and second respectively, and each notching personal bests in the high jump.

"The men literally crushed the other teams," Lowentritt said.

Women Finish Third

With the exception of sophomore Karen Goetze's record breaking performance, the women did not fare nearly so well. Although the Crimson managed 59.5 points, the tally was only good enough for a disappointing third-place finish.

Goetze and junior Megan Agy (first in the 5000 at 18:16) were the lone bright spots on a dismal day for the women.

Goetze smashed her own Harvard record in the 500 meter. The sophomore, who usually runs the 800 meter, finished first in 1:14.16, fourteen-tenths of a second better than the previous 1:14.30.

Although Goetze was not even in the lead until after the first 200 meters, the record-breaking performance was no accident. In a race with a bunch of also-rans, Goetze had to find something to aim for. And, why not aim high?

"I knew that there would not be that much competition," Goetze said. "I knew that I needed an objective to get myself psyched up for the meet."

Though thrilled with her new record, Goetze was still disappointed in the meet overall. Northeastern and B.C. with 91 and 73.5 points, respectively, both finished in front of the Crimson.

"We started out the season really great with the win against B.C.," Goetze said. "I am kind of disappointed about placing behind them today."

With H-Y-P's looming next weekend for both teams, the disappointment must not linger for too long.

"We need to work really hard for H-Y-P's next weekend," Goetze said.