Reader Representative

By Tara H. Arden-smith

READER REPRESENTATIVE EXPLAINS CRIMSON HEADLINE POLICY

This is a potential headline for this column, if this column had headlines.

I could see how someone might decide that it's appropriate, that is gets the gist of the piece across clearly and succinctly.

But it's not quite right.

The Crimson has no policy on headline writing, though in this column I will attempt to explain the process by which headlines come to appear on the page.

Headlines are often troublesome. They represent a disproportionate number of the complaints which The Crimson receives.

And that criticism is often more on-target than most readers even realize.

Headlines can be erratic, hap-hazardly composed, uninformative and sometimes all three and more.

As often as readers complain about Crimson headlines reporters themselves do the same, ranting "the morning after" about a headline that skewed the carefully balanced content of their article.

Headlines are intended to give brief encapsulation of a story so that a reader can decide whether he or she wants to devote time to reading it.

Many readers, therefore, read only the headlines of some stories.

That's why clarity and accuracy in headlines are so important. But it's the brevity part that often gets in the way of a good, fair representation of a story's main idea.

Trying to fit a perfect phrase (in the occasional circumstance that a headline writer comes up with one) into and awkwardly small spot on a page is just one of many tasks for which an assistant night editor or proofer is responsible.

Even if he she devoted full concentration to the task it's difficult one, and on any given night this process many happen 10 or more times.

Usually neither of the people responsible for the headlines is the person who wrote the story, or even the person who edited it--so their familiarity with the nuances of the piece is limited.

Because headlines are written later at night, after many reporters and editors have gone home, it's impractical to make them responsible for their own headlines.

(Thought it is a good idea--one which was practice in The Crimson's pre-design-conscious past and one which is often raised as a potential plan for the present. Many reporters still make a point of staying late and writing their own headlines anyway).

There's lot to be said for clarity in writing, and usually the clearer the story's lead paragraphs the more accurate the headlines will be.

The essential components for the composition of a good headline are a conscientious headline writer, the right amount of space (which is usually determined by lack) and a little inspiration.

Headlines can be about the most trying words a Crimson editor can put to paper (or computer screen).

At most professional newspapers there is a staff whose main function is to write headlines and maintain expertise in the skills required to produce good ones.

The Crimson's headline writers are mainly reporters and editors who toss out a headline or tow on the side, usually no more than once a week and often less.

Headline writing, like any other skill, is one which can only e perfected through practice and experience, two things Crimson editors don't get enough of in this area.

Often headlines they aren't quite right, and sometimes they are just plain wrong. To prevent this, all Crimson editors can do is be more careful and diligent.

But the many obstacles they face on the way to writing the headline make it tricker than you might think to write one that tells all.