'Poon Hosts Spring Carnival

Monkey, Clown Among Celebrants at Outdoor Festival

By Xiaomeng Tong

For this year's Spring Carnival, the editors of the Harvard Lampoon brought their organization to the masses. And, if the masses don't throw it back, that's where they intend the annual festival to remain.

The Carnival, which lasted from noon to 4 p.m. yesterday outside the Lampoon Castle, drew an enthusiastic crowd of about 200. And it featured nobody but "really good people," according to Aaron G. Ehasz '95-'96, president of the Lampoon, a social organization that publishes a so-called humor magazine.

By "good people" Ehasz meant a monkey and a clown, plus a few residents of eastern Massachusetts out to create a purely happy day--Lampoon-style.

No more Aerosmith. No more stars. No more TV coverage.

"The Spring Carnival has always been a huge thing for us," Ehasz said, "In the past, we have invited famous rock bands and celebrities--successful but farther away from the philosophy of the Carnival's founders. This year, we decided to recapture the original spirit."

The carnival dates back three decades, when a Harvard student obsessed with the pain endemic to everyday life, set out to arrange a party-like gathering for "freaks" and "midgets." Though originally not a show, it soon developed into a major event and is now ranked as one of the top five college fraternity feasts, according to Ehasz.

To reaffirm the differences between the Lampoon's Carnival and other commercial carnivals such as Disney World, Ehasz and his staffabandoned the pretentious patterns of celebrationcharacteristic of the last few years and insteadfilled the street with Coco the Monkey, clowns,singers, psychics and belly dancers. "These arenot famous people, never superstars, but they areall great, " added John J. Abbott, Jr. '96, Ibis."You don't pay them 10 bucks to see their show.You just walk down Mt. Auburn, and boom, you getentertainment from them."

"I'm extremely happy that the Carnival is back[where] it belongs," commented Ehasz, who turneddown Hollywood star Rosie O'Donnell's offer togive a performance. "Our goal is, keep stars out,for this is a sacred day." No posters had been putup beforehand, but the festival received a warmwelcome from its intended audience all the same.The highlight came when the hurdy-gurdy monkey,"blowing the show away" (according to U-no, thestiltwalking clown), won the informal competitionamong all performers announced by Lampoon editorRebecca Kirshner '96-'97.

In addition to recapturing an old tradition,this year's Carnival also added a new essence aswell. "One thing I really like is that little kidscame by and enjoyed it," said Ehasz. With theirmothers standing by, children joined in on thetricks with the monkey or balloon-blowing with theclowns.

Observing this year's Carnival and anticipatingnext year's, both the President and the Ibisemphasized the Lampoon's determination to continuethe tradition reestablished yesterday afternoon.

Said Ehasz, "I truly love those performers. Idon't call them 'freaks.' I call them'salt-of-the-earth' people.