Levenson Prize Recipients Honored

By Xiaomeng Tong

Students thanked a literature professor, an Expos preceptor and an "Ec 10" teaching fellow for their contributions to undergraduate education, voting them this year's recipients of the Levenson Award for Undergraduate Teaching.

Professor of English and Comparative Literature James Engell, Expository Writing Preceptor David S. Gewanter and David Gaudette, an economics teaching fellow, were chosen from 76 nominees and pronounced winners at the Levenson awards dinner in Dunster House on Monday night.

The Levenson awards are given annually by the Undergraduate Council's Student Affairs Committee to the professor, junior faculty member and teaching fellow who have contributed the most to undergraduate education.

"They have all demonstrated themselves as not only highly qualified teachers but also great people," said Brandon C. Gregoire '95, the council member who organized the ceremony.

The awards had been the subject of some controversy earlier this week.

Matthew L. Bruce '96, a council member who is editor of The Harvard Salient, offered to resign from the council after publishing the winners of the Levenson Prize in issues of the magazine that were distributed last week before the winners were officially announced.

Several Salient staff members and council members said they tried to remove all copies of the conservative bi-weekly publication from campus distribution centers when they learned of Bruce's mistake last week.

But the fact that the names of the winners had already been published did not seem to detract from the win- ners' enjoyment of the evening.

Gewanter, the head preceptor of Expos 11, saidhe was "flattered" by the award and gratefultowards the students who nominated him.

His students were likewise grateful thatGewanter had turned the notoriously unpleasantfirst-year writing course into a pleasurableexperience.

Brad J. Waskewich '98, who nominated Gewanterand attended Monday's dinner, said Expos is hisfavorite class entirely because of Gewanter.

"He created a great fun atmosphere and tiedjokes into his teaching," Waskewich said. "Heencouraged us to see him often. He invited us tohis house. Once when I went to him to talk about apaper, he took me out to dinner."

"Not only me, but a whole bunch of guys thinkGewanter is awesome," added Waskewich.

Gewanter confirmed his students' convictionsthat his classes are of utmost importance to him,saying that Monday evening was the only one in hisrecent memory when "I was actually not worryingabout my class."

Gaudette, a teaching fellow in Social Analysis10 and Economics 1010a, said he was pleased tohave claimed the Levenson prize and similarlygrateful towards his students.

"I should especially thank those students ofmine who took the time to fill out the forms,write letters and do the lobbying," said Gaudette,who was also nominated for the Levenson last year.

Engell, who teaches courses on Augustan-ageliterature, late 18th century authors and majorcritical approaches, could not be reached forcomment yesterday.

Approximately 16 senior faculty members, 25junior faculty members and 35 teaching fellowswere nominated for the Levenson this year,Gregoire said.

An estimated 100 students submittednominiations, which consist of a 150-word essay,said Randall A. Fine '96, chair of the council'sStudent Affairs Committee.

More than 100 people, including facultymembers, students and Dean of Students Archie C.Epps III attended Monday's reception